I can't install Kali Linux it freezes, and I have to do a forced reboot (Acer aspire A315-23)

Wacky
Wacky Member Posts: 5 New User
edited December 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I recently purchased an Acer aspire A315-23 with the idea of using a Linux system on it, the problem comes when installing a distribution, I tried to install Kali Linux but it freezes and I can not proceed with the installation, with Ubuntu the same thing happened to me. I managed to install a successful operating system, Deepin Linux, but when I use it after a few hours it freezes and I have to do a forced reboot.

Any contribution could be of help, Thank you!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Please post a phone photo of the  BIOS Information & Boot tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    If UEFI is enabled, may need to install ISO to flash drive with Rufus. Once have drive may need to add bootx64.efi from the flash drive to the BIOS UEFI directory. Have been using Kali for years but is very powerful. If not familiar might be better off with Ubuntu or Mint.

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    Are you in China ?
  • JackE

Jack E/NJ

• Wacky
    JackE said: Please post a phone photo of the  BIOS Information & Boot tabs if possible.
    Hi, here are the two images, I had to disable Secure Boot to be able to boot the OS on the bootable USB.

• Wacky
    edited December 2021
    UEFI is enabled and I have done the USB boot process and it did not work, the problem is that when I try to install Kali or another distribution it freezes on install and does not progress, I have done a lot of research and found different answers, I have tried the different options and no luck. I have been using Kali for quite some time so I can say with certainty that I am familiar with it.
  • Wacky
    padgett said:
    If UEFI is enabled, may need to install ISO to flash drive with Rufus. Once have drive may need to add bootx64.efi from the flash drive to the BIOS UEFI directory. Have been using Kali for years but is very powerful. If not familiar might be better off with Ubuntu or Mint.

UEFI is enabled and I have done the USB boot process and it did not work, the problem is that when I try to install Kali or another distribution it freezes on install and does not progress, I have done a lot of research and found different answers, I have tried the different options and no luck. I have been using Kali for quite some time so I can say with certainty that I am familiar with it.
  • JackE
    Many linux installation distros have problems with recognizing HDD1 or sdb. Can you run GPartEd from the kali live stick to examine whether  or not the HDD1 is even recognized? I suspect only the usb stick will be recognized. 

Jack E/NJ

• Wacky
    JackE said:
    Many linux installation distros have problems with recognizing HDD1 or sdb. Can you run GPartEd from the kali live stick to examine whether  or not the HDD1 is even recognized? I suspect only the usb stick will be recognized. 
    That's going to be impossible, I can't start Kali Live, it freezes before I can see the desktop, I think the problem lies in the kernel.  
  • JackE
    I suggest that you re-make a Kali stick, preferrably on another stick. Iso should be loaded on GPT partition scheme, FAT32 format stick using Rufus if possible. If not, you should be able to use 'sudo dd if=kali.iso  of=/dev/sdc bs=4M' on the stick (example sdc) from the terminal command prompt.

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    Furshlugginer. Use Rufus like this to create USB stick.
    Then in The BIOS setup, add the USB Bootx64.efi file (may be a few levels down - USB0>EFI>Boot).

• farrukhahmed
    farrukhahmed Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

I'm facing the similar issue mentioned by @Wacky. I have tried burning ISO image using Balena Etcher. Also added Bootx64.efi from the bios but still facing black/blank screen.

PS: I'm using kali-linux-2022.3-installer-amd64.iso

Laptop Model: Aspire E15 E5-574G

• JackE

farrukhahmed

This thread is a year old. For better attention, please start your own new thread by clicking on the green ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ