New Acer Monitor what I select to update the drivers?

BAZ57
BAZ57 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Monitors

I have an Acer computer. Just bought an Acer Monitor (use to have a Dell Monitor). How do I get the computer to recognize the new monitor? It's working, but in some spots, it claims it still the Dell. Other places it just says "Generic PnP Monitor".

I tried these directions

However the device monitor just lists Generic PnP Monitor. Is that what I select to update the drivers?

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• Can you give us more details, like pc model and number and monitor model number, as your question is not detailed enough and especially an Acer monitor should be recognised in DM by its model number.

• BAZ57

Tinkerer

Computer is Aspire TC-895 , Monitor is CBA242YA.

• BAZ57

Tinkerer

After some trial and error and a couple of chats with support, I've learned some more interesting things about my problem.

Under speakers (in the lower right on the screen) I have 2 options RealTek and a listing for my old monitor, a Dell.

When I select RealTek, nothing, no sound at all

When I select the Dell listing, I get sound, crappy, but sound. The interesting thing is, I get sound even when the audio cable isn't plugged in. The sound is coming through the HDMI cable

Also, when I unplug the audio cable, the selection for RealTek goes away.

When I disconnect the monitor, the selection for the Dell goes away.

The second Tech I talked to thinks there is a problem with the monitor and wanted me to send it to them to repair it.

I don't think it's the monitor, I think it's the Dell Monitor driver messing things up, but I can't get it to uninstall. I uninstall, reboot and it's back.

I have returned it to Amazon (just got it less than a week ago) and have ordered another one.

Also, under device manager, the monitor is listed "Generic PnP Monitor". The Chat Tech said "That's probably the name of the monitor"

We'll see what happened when I get the new monitor on Wednesday. In the meantime, any suggestions on getting the Dell drivers removed and Acer ones added would be appreciated. I tried loading the Acer drive several times, nothing ever showed up in device manager.