Helios 300 PH315-55-70ZV only using one of two USB controllers

miniwill
miniwill Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hello all,

I recently picked up a new Helios 300, and so far I'm enjoying it. I ran into one curious issue and was hoping someone might have an explanation as to what is going on. In short, my device list clearly shows two different onboard USB controllers (see image). However, the three USB ports and rear USB-c port all seem to route through the same 3.10 controller.

This could present a few problems for me. As part of a streaming setup that I am working on, I will need to have 2-3 HD webcams in use at a given time. This on its own could bottleneck the system, so I was hoping to run those inputs through a USB hub to the 3.20 controller so that the 3.10 controller would be available for other peripherals. Now, it appears that my single 3.10 controller will have to manage onboard system devices as well as external webcams and other inputs.

Admittedly, I am not all too familiar with USB hardware beyond basic bandwidths and such. In light of all that, my questions are as follows...

1) Does the 3.20 controller listing serve any external purpose, or is it an internal component for upgrades/system functions (i.e. "just for show")?

2) Assuming the 3.20 controller is meant to be usable, how can I leverage it for my workflow? Does it automatically kick in when a compatible device is detected? Or do I need to enable it somehow?

Any help you all can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Will

Other notes worth considering... I have already checked for driver updates on both controllers and ensured my OS is up-to-date as well.

Answers

• Both Host Controller and Root Hub are part of the topology in the USB system architecture. of this laptop and are built and triggered automatically, the USB Root Hub monitors each port and manages power, and the eXtensible host controller arbitrates the USB bus communication which at 20Gb/s is way more than you will ever need for your 2-3 HD webcams.

These are the differences between the USB 3 version, USB 3.0 is 5Gb/s, USB 3.1 is 10Gb/s, and USB 3.2 is the fastest at 20Gb/s.

These are all the sides ports and USB 3.2 and C ports of your PH315-55 and what their functions and descriptions are: