I can’t connect to Wi-Fi because the Wireless driver was deleted cannot restore.

MayC
MayC Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Swift and Spin Series

Forgive me, as I have created an account solely for this issue I am experiencing and have not familiarized myself with the etiquette of this site.

Somehow I deleted the wireless driver on my laptop - this means I cannot connect to the internet. Most of the solutions I’ve found involve “downloading” something or another… which I am unable to do as I can’t connect to wifi.

I’ve tried going into Device Manager and updating/uninstalling/reinstalling/disabling/enabling/scanning for hardware changes, it has not worked. I’ve tried restoring to a couple of days ago - still no driver. I tried reseting it - still no driver.

I was about to contact Acer support but, I need my SNID # to ensure my warranty is valid. I believe it should be, but the sticker which had the # on it peeled off very early on.

I tried to find it through the Care Center App but, since I restored my device - the app wants to be updated before it displays any information and, of course, I can’t do that because I can’t connect to wifi because the wireless driver was deleted.

This device doesn’t have a Ethernet port so there’s truly no way to connect to the internet as far as I can tell.

I should note that I did reset while keeping my files. I’m not sure if that would make a difference but I don’t think my files are backed up so I’d really like to save that as a last resort.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,928 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

MayC, seeing that you didn’t give us any details on which laptop/desktop model you have I will explain to you the best way to either recover the Wi-Fi driver or reinstall the OEM Wi-Fi driver for your card so that the wireless feature works.

The best way to reinstate the Wi-Fi drive is to do this;

Go into Device Manager>Network adaptors>chose your Wireless Adaptor>right click properties>Driver>Update driver>Browse my computer for driver>Let me pick from a list of available drivers – then chose the last and most up to date driver from that list, as that will reinstate the WiFi for you.

New Wi-Fi driver installation is to do this;

First download the latest Wi-Fi driver from the Acer Drivers & Manuals site for your laptop or desktop as that driver folder will be downloaded into your “Downloads Folder” on your PC where you need to come back to later on, then do this:

Go into Device Manager>Network adaptors>chose your Wireless Adaptor>right click properties>Driver>Update driver>Browse my computer for driver>Browse and then go into the “Downloads Folder where you have downloaded the Wi-Fi driver to and reinstall this new driver, as all this will make your wireless option of your PC work. 

• Athwart
    Athwart Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon

Assuming that you cannot find an existing wi-fi driver on your laptop using the 1st method detailed by @StevenGen then your options are:

1. Use any other laptop/desktop to download the driver and save that onto a USB memory stick. Copy that to your laptop, unzip the contents then use method 2 described by @StevenGen

2. Assuming you have a mobile with internet access, connect the laptop to your mobile with a USB cable or Bluetooth and proceed as above.

3. Buy an ethernet-USB adapter (they're cheap) and connect the laptop to your router using an ethernet cable.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

I can add that if the WLAN device doesn't show in Device Manager, and there is no unknown device listed, then the chances are the WLAN card has failed and should be replaced.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • @MayC

Try windows + r - type msconfig on run - click ok

go to services tab - check hide all microsoft service on the bottom left corner - click on disable all and then click on enable all

chose normal startup if selective startup is selected

click on apply - ok

Restart the computer.

Check whether you are getting the wifi back ..

If it is still not working please backup the data..

How to backup the data..

Please connect a external hdd or usb flash drive

Open file explorer by clicking on the yellow folder on taskbar

Go to this pc - click on c drive - Go to users folder

Right click on users folder - click on send to - chose the external hdd or usb flash drive. Backup will be in progress

You can backup all the files.

While doing the backup if it is stopping in the middle - Please check the small check box and click on do this for all items to continue the backup process

Please remember all the backup files for all users are kept inside the c:\Users folder.

If you go to users folder and click on the user name you can see the pictures, music, docs , videos of each user. You can even backup it folder by folder individually whichever you want to the usb flash drive or external hdd.

Once the backup is completed you can reset the computer.

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything

chose keep my files 

chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 

It will be in progress.. 

login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

chose remove everything 

click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset

It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) - all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos will still be intact.  Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset ( remove everything ) - you are doing a factory default.  It will become like a day one computer.  It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

click on keep my files ( only applications will be lost )  chose your account and type your password  - click on local reinstall - click on reset

It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

After the reinstallation drivers will be loaded automatically. Please connect to the wifi and use it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Leohere4576
    Leohere4576 Member Posts: 2 New User

If you uninstall the Wi-Fi drivers from your system, the operating system (OS) may no longer recognize the wireless adapter and it becomes unusable. If you choose to uninstall the driver, make sure to download the latest available Wi-Fi driver before starting the process.