Veriton-X2640G what SSD can I use- It developed a really bad freezing problem I can't find solution

Aleenmax
Aleenmax Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

A 128GB Kingston SSD came with the machine, but I've outgrown it. When I tried replacing it with a 480GB WD Green, it developed a really bad freezing problem, and even though I've found plenty of search hits relating to SSD freezing, I can't find a clear solution. WD has responded to my support ticket.

If I buy a different brand of drive, either my compatibility issue will go away or I need to update something.

Alternatively I'm wondering about fitting a regular hard drive as secondary storage but I'd rather have one volume.

Also since I'm never going to upgrade the graphics could fit a NV-Me adaptor in the x16 slot?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

@Aleenmax

Have you tried the 480GB WD Green with another PC? Also, how did you clone the 128 GB drive to the 480 GB? Either the cloning process is not right or the WD Green drive is defective.

Your Veriton X2640G should have PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, and I think almost all PCIe 3.0 x16 slot will support booting. If you are not using graphics card, then using a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with an adapter at the x16 slot should work. The performance with 3,400 MB/s sequential read is way above the 550 MB/s of the WD Green. Personally, I switch different versions of Linux ( and including Windows 10) with adapters at the X16 slot all the time.

• @Aleenmax

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,174 Pathfinder
    edited November 2022

@Aleenmax

Kindly go through the details captured from service manual designed for your computer.

Memory

 Supports DDR4 2133 MHz DDR4 SDRAM with Dual-channel architecture

 Accommodates four unbuffered DIMMs

 Up to 16GB per DIMM with maximum memory size up to 32 GB Expansion Options

The motherboard comes with the following expansion options

 One PCI Express x16 slot for Graphic Interface

 One PCI Express x1 slot

 One M.2 (2230) for WLAN  Three Serial ATA 6Gb/s connectors LAN The onboard LAN

System Memory

Item Specification

Memory slot number 2 slots Support

memory size per socket 2GB/ 4GB / 8GB / 16GB

Support maximum memory size 32 GB

Support memory type DDR4 SDRAM

Support memory interface DDR4 2133 MHz

Support memory module package 288-pin

DIMM Support parity check feature Yes

Memory module combinations You can install memory modules in any combination as long as they match the specifications.

NOTE: Dual channel should be enabled always when plug-in 2or4 same memory size DDR4 memory module

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★