How do you reset a Gateway laptop cannot remember the password?

ChiefsFan15
ChiefsFan15 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

We have a Gateway laptop and cannot remember the password. It has nothing on it, how do you reset it?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Reinstall the OS (if your laptop hasn't got a HDD password?) and format the boot HDD to do a clean install, download the boot installation files onto an 8GB boot USB from Microsoft, as this forum restricts any password hacking guides.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@ChiefsFan15

You can do the recovery by following the steps given below..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

it will show you keep my files , remove everything

Since you do not know the password please dont try keep my files.

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

If it is a very old computer, while tapping alt + f10 it will show you

Windows is loading files

Gateway recovery management

Under select restore type - chose the first option - Restore system to factory defaults

click on next , next , ok

It will be in progress...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

With any Chromebook you can use the Google website to change your password, then use the new password to login.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.