Plastic around screen separating from screen, hinges coming off in Acer Aspire 5

Bigmancozmo
Bigmancozmo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

After around 9 months of having my Acer Aspire 5, I've finally caved in and decided to make a post about this issue. I've been having to deal with this for 2 months now, and the plastic on the monitor is starting to fall apart. Not only that, but both hinges are coming off, too. Also, I know this is just an Acer problem, and not a "common laptop issue" like they like to use as their excuse. I've had some other laptops with plastic around the monitor, and they've all lasted over 2 years without breaking in the slightest. I'm most likely going to switch to another company. I've also heard that Acer charges $100 for the laptop to be LOOKED at, and they didn't even mention it being fixed, just looked at.

TLDR; Don't waste your money on an Acer laptop.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>After around 9 months>>>I've also heard that Acer charges $100 f>>>

Should still be under warranty. Dont't waste any more time based on what you've heard. Click this link. Choose your country. Click support tab on near top of country page. Enter your machnine's serial numbe id (SNID) and use the chatline, phone number or email provided to see if it can be repaired and covered under warranty.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>After around 9 months>>>I've also heard that Acer charges $100 f>>>

Should still be under warranty. Dont't waste any more time based on what you've heard. Click this link. Choose your country. Click support tab on near top of country page. Enter your machnine's serial numbe id (SNID) and use the chatline, phone number or email provided to see if it can be repaired and covered under warranty.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,432 Trailblazer

If your laptop is under warranty then send your laptop to Acer to fix all these issues for you, as this is fully covered under warranty, and you should have done this sooner! As bezel and hinges problems need replacing with new parts, especially a hinge problem, as these hinges just break away from their securing mounting points that can't be fixed, as the whole bottom case needs replacing in most cases, but it could be that the top cover is also damaged and that needs replacing also.

Otherwise, and if your laptop is just out of warranty then you can still consult Acer and tell them about your situation with these issues, as a hinge problem(s) can only be fixed 100% if you replace either the bottom case or the top case where the hinges secure points have broken as its the same with the screen bezel also.