Added an SSD But now want to revert back to original HHD as primary boot drive in Acer Aspire TC-885

NoloFour
NoloFour Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Acer Aspire TC-885 desktop

Added an SSD a year or so back. It's the primary drive now, but occasionally has problems with my stock trading program.

So I'd like to clone the SSD back onto the original HDD and make the HDD the primary drive once again. That will leave the SSD as a secondary drive. I can use my Acronis True Image software to do the cloning, but I can't be sure the HDD would then automatically become the primary drive.....

My question is: HOW to make the HHD the primary (boot) drive, once the cloning is completed.....

Thanks, -Bill-

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Clone the SSD to the spinner HDD with the Acronis True Image software, then take the SSD primary drive out and see if it boots and works 100% first, dont do anything to the SSD primary drive. If everything works 100% (test the cloned spinner HDD boot drive for a few days) then you can format the SSD drive by connecting this SSD drive to PC and then do a format of this drive after the PC boots. don't pre connect both drives with a boot OS to the PC as the PC will always boot from the last boot drive which will be the SSD.

Just as a note, an SSD drive should have nothing to do with compatibility of a software, as your stock trading program should work better with an SSD! If this software clashes with your SSD boot drive, then the spinner HDD will also do so, it's not the drive that is the problem its your stock trading programs software's compatibility with OS, so see if there are any updates to this software?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Clone the SSD to the spinner HDD with the Acronis True Image software, then take the SSD primary drive out and see if it boots and works 100% first, dont do anything to the SSD primary drive. If everything works 100% (test the cloned spinner HDD boot drive for a few days) then you can format the SSD drive by connecting this SSD drive to PC and then do a format of this drive after the PC boots. don't pre connect both drives with a boot OS to the PC as the PC will always boot from the last boot drive which will be the SSD.

Just as a note, an SSD drive should have nothing to do with compatibility of a software, as your stock trading program should work better with an SSD! If this software clashes with your SSD boot drive, then the spinner HDD will also do so, it's not the drive that is the problem its your stock trading programs software's compatibility with OS, so see if there are any updates to this software?

• NoloFour
    NoloFour Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Thanks Steven, Yes I know the SSD S-H-O-U-L-D have worked and was noticably faster than the HDD that came in the Acer. It's been a year or more since I added the SSD and I ultimately just moved the trading software to a much older Dell (with a HHD) where it has run reliably ever since -- but SLOWER.

I keep the "NinjaTrader 8" futures trading software up to date always -- several releases per year. But the "errors" generated from the SSD sounded more like operating-system level HARDWARE errors.

Although it's a pain (several hours) to switch machines over, I may try it "as is", with the SSD as primary drive. If I get further errors I'll document them more carefully, and THEN perhaps try your solution, above.

Thanks for being so generous with your time and expertise ! -Bill-