Acer Chromebook Spin 513 Have any of you encountered this problem in Google Docs

Malin123
Malin123 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2022 in Chromebooks

Hey! Have any of you encountered this problem in Google Docs. Received my third case today and they are all on the Acer Chromebook Spin 513. The students have been working in a google document and suddenly this pops up. It may disappear but reappear after a while. When they change the chromebook the problem goes away.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

Have these docs been downloaded and worked on locally or offline?

Jack E/NJ

• Malin123
  • JackE

Have you verified that by searching for the docs the 513's storage drive? Also how old are the 513s and the other chromebooks that don't show this behavior? The reason i ask about the age is a possibility that the docs are infected with malware that new chromebook firmware is reacting to.

Jack E/NJ

• akintayo
    akintayo Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey,

I have an Acer Spin 513 Qualcomm 4GB/64GB Chromebook and I see similar artifacts in Google sheets. I host a weekly status meeting and I have Google sheets and Google meet running for 30 minutes, and I encounter something similar about 1 in 3 times.

It sucks because I got the machine to host the meeting.

• JackE

akintayo

Do the artifacts seem to be in the same language? Or is it just the blue image shapes?

Jack E/NJ

• Malin123

Hi again! They have not been working offline. That I know for sure. About docs in the storage drive I'm not really sure. Do you mean downloads in files?

The 513 is from 2021 and the r13 is from 2019 and 2020.

• JackE

>>>Do you mean downloads in files?>>>

Yes. Just the act of downloading the infected doc itself --- irrespective of where it was last edited --- is allegedly how a particular chromebook storage drive can be infected.

Jack E/NJ

• AlexK12TG
    AlexK12TG Member Posts: 2 New User

I am also having this issue. Its only a few files and only on the Spin 513 models that the teachers use. The lenovos that the students have don't experience this issue. I opened the problematic sheets on a windows device and it works perfectly. On the Spin 513 I have removed the merged cells and that stopped the graphical error but as soon as I re-merge them it happens again. I really don't want to tell the teachers they can't merge cells or it will break their file. I have powerwashed and used a chromebook recovery USB. Anyone have a solution?

• schmancy
    schmancy Member Posts: 1 New User

My husband and I each purchased a Chromebook Spin late October 2022. Both of us have had the same display issue (strange lines, color blocks obscuring the screen) when using Google Sheets. I'm at a loss and wondering if I should figure out how to return these systems, if that is even possible at this point. I use Google Sheets a lot. Any fixes out there?

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Yeah, it seems to be an issue with the Google end of things... The next spin of the OS should have it fixed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AlexK12TG
    AlexK12TG Member Posts: 2 New User

Updating to the Beta track also fixed my issues

• JackE

>>>>Switching to Beta channel seems to have solved the issue.>>>>

>>>Updating to the Beta track also fixed my issues>>>

Thanks for confirming that the beta resolveds the issue.

Jack E/NJ