Acer XC-885-UR11 DDR4 won't upgrade, long beep Help pls!

Pat_XC885
Pat_XC885 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi Acer community,

I just recently powered up my new in the box (5 yo) Acer XC-885-UR11.

It has I3 8100, Win 10 64-bit and only 4GB PC4-2400T 1x16 Micron MTA4ATF51264AZ-2G3

Everything works except the Task manager is always showing over 90% memory usage and with web browsers plus anti-malware only running. it really bogs down.

When I bought this system, shortly later, I also bought a Crucial 8GB PC4-2400T CT8G4DFS824A. I think it's a 1x8 configuration. Anyway, first thing I did was remove the 4GB, install the Crucial and got the long beep. I tried both slots but same outcome. I just thought maybe I got a dud when I bought this long time ago. Putting back the 4GB in any slot makes it work again.

Just this week, I got from Amazon 2 x 8GB Patriot DIMMs - 2666MHz 1x8 each PSD416G2666K. I tried them and same thing - long beep.

I checked the specs of the I3 and it can handle a memory bandwidth way higher than the RAMs I tried.

Anyone encounter this? I haven't tried a 2nd 4GB of the same type. I can't get them new but a lot of used on Ebay. But before I keep buying more RAM, anything know if it's a setting issue? Or maybe upgrade the BIOS?

BIOS is R01-A2 05/18/2018

appreciate any help!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>>anti-malware only running. it really bogs down.>>>I checked the specs of the I3 and it can handle a memory bandwidth way higher than the RAMs I tried.>>>

if it's a 3rd party non - Mic rosoft scanner, uninstall don't just disable it. They can seriously bog down browser performance. Most users only need Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool which are updated regularly.

As for the RAM modules, refer to the table below. Ideally it should be dual channel variety. Quite often, you have to start tapping the DEL key immediately after startup to enter the BIOS menu so the new memory configuration is reccognized, initialized and remembered by the BIOS. Then simply save BIOS settings and exit. If it still doesn't, then I suggest running crucial dot com scanner on your particular machine to see what RAM specs it recommends for upgrades.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Look at your start-up tab in task manager and uncheck all of them ?

When you find out the bad ones that is slowing you down then uninstalled them in task manager.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The pair of Patriot DIMMs should have worked. Does your motherboard have two slots for memory or four? IIRC the XC-885 models all had two, and they support a maximum of 32GB using two 16GB DIMMs. Either 2400 or 2666 should work. Maybe your system is at fault, since I assume you got it used? It wouldn't be easy to have it fail in such a way that a 4GB works and an 8GB doesn't though...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey, no system is new or never used. I bought it a while back but never used it because I was still able to use my XP machine for the things I needed.

I just decided it's time to use this thing. It's fresh, nothing much on it except the factory installed stuff. Only 2 slots. I'm about to just get a used exact 4GB memory on ebay just to see if that's the only thing it likes and be happy with slow 1x16 but at least double the size

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Hi JackE, the beep comes on immediately but I'll keep trying that because I think it has something to do with what you said. I noticed the motherboard is configured as UEFI so it boots lightning fast. Maybe it's why I can't do the Del technique. But I'll poke around. I'm going to just update the BIOS as well to see if that helps with the DDR recognition.

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Hi Larryodie, big part of my memory usage is I have a lot of tabs on my browsers. It's how I work. For example, my work laptop has Win 11, i7-1270, 32G of RAM, I have at least 50 tabs on one browser, 40 on another. I multitask. No problems because lots of memory and I can put tabs to sleep if I have to. My very old XP machine has 8GB. I don't think anyone can live with 4GB :D

• JackE

Yes, you must start tapping the DEL key IMMEDIATELY after startup to enter the BIOS. Don't wait for the ACER logo to appear because it's usually too late by then, the POST has already failed. As mentioned, run the crucial scanner with the old RAM configuration just to make sure the RAM upgrade specs are correct for your particular mainboard. Production changes can happen without notice.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I was referring the STARTUP section in Task Manager as it'll load hidden programs on start-up.

Disable all of them and add back as needed.

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Fixed!!

Hi JackE,

i couldn't get the Del trick to work. It's almost immediate after power button. Even tried power cord in/out, button, all while on Del key, even tapping it rapidly, no go LOL

But, your idea got me thinking of how to initialize the motherboard before it can complain. So what worked? the CMOS reset! Actually it didn't work the first time haha!

But before doing CMOS reset, I tried the latest BIOS. Then I powered up a few times to make sure new BIOS was working ok, and after a few restarts, it was stable and all was good with the 4G DIMM.

Then I tried the DIMMS I had - Crucial and Patriot. Still long beep. Ok BIOS upgrade didn't do squat to my problem but at least it's good for something.

So, next I tried the CMOS reset. I found some service manuals for other ACER computers and the Aspire had a similar jumper. I also removed the battery.

After reset, I installed the Crucial 2400T. Beeep. Ok I was beginning to think I'm done here, nothing works.

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

...Continuation.

This time, I just assumed, what if the Crucial is really dead?

So CMOS reset again and this time, only installed 1 of my Patriots = 8GB PC4-21300.

After trying to power up many times - it really did nothing - like power supply cycles then immediately shuts off. I thought I bricked it. But after maybe 8 times, it stayed on - and I already had my finger on Delete key each time.

Viola! Got the BIOS screen! And sure enough, it saw the 8GB! single DIMM!

Powered off, just install the 2nd DIMM and Yes! Success!!

So the CMOS reset did the trick! It most likely made the motherboard start before it can complain. Thanks for the tip! Happy 16GB now!

And for kicks, I mirrored an SSD card I bought awhile back. Now it boots off that and UEFI, it's pretty fast for an old I3 system :)

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Hi Larryodie, yes I'm aware of disabling via task manager. I do that quite a bit. But my goal is to increase memory. I can't run any kind of video editing programs or play games with 4GB. Looks like I am successful today. Next I will tweak running processes for speed if I need. So yes I'll play with start settings and task manager later :)

• JackE

Congratulations on your success! Unusual to have so much trouble with the BIOS. But so many security features and other things are crammed into them these days, it's probably to be expected. I'm always a bit apprehensive about changing things in them like passwords etc. Thanks for reporting back.

Jack E/NJ

• Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

i was dumbfounded too! But last PC actually built from scratch is my XP machine and I populated that with ebay specials. I've also easily upgraded RAM and HD's on all our store bought stuff - kids laptops, mac books, imacs, without any problems . This one stumped me. I couldn't locate any new Micron DIMMS like the one that came stock. But the A-Tech equivalent ones were like $160 or so for 8GB. Glad it seems memory friendly now. I just cancelled my Amazon return of the Patriots :)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Very weird, but glad you got it sorted... And your machine isn't all that old. My oldest one here still in use is from 2006, running Windows 10 and controlling my CNC router. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pat_XC885

Tinkerer

Now I got a new problem lol

Actually the video driver but I'll post a new inquiry. Helpful bunch here :)