Spin 713- CP713-2W-5874 gives error message "OS not detected". USB flash drive recovery fails.

skirn
skirn Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks

My spin 713 started giving me the message that no OS is detected. I have followed the steps for USB flash drive recovery several times, including trying different flash drives, but it fails every time. Any ideas other than trying repair?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Sounds to me like the drive may have failed. Which Spin 713 model do you have? There have been a bunch of them. The model number should be on the same sticker as your serial number.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Omar000
    Omar000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2022

I also have a Spin 713 (2W) and about two months ago I started getting errors about the OS being damaged and I've had to go through the recovery process more or less once a week. I've seen other reports of this in Reddit and some of them suggest the SSD being the problem, but at least one person changed their drive and that didn't help.

Almost by chance I found the Diagnostics tool and I was very surprised to see that both the memory and CPU tests failed! So my hunch is that it's a defective CPU or memory the cause of these problems, which is, well terrible I think - would never expect to get these kind of errors these days. Too bad because I really liked this Chromebook.

• billsey

OK, so your model number is something like CP713-2W-xxxx (on the same sticker as your serial number). What size drive does your SKU have? Do you know if it's an eMMC drive (64GB, 128GB) or NVMe (128GB, 256GB)? The eMMC drives tend to have a much earlier failure rate than the NVMe drives. If you have an eMMC the fix is to put an NVMe drive in instead. eMMC drives are replaceable for a reasonable price, since they are soldered to the MB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • skirn

Full model number is CP713-2W-5874 I don't see the "Like" option.

• billsey

Maybe the Like button doesn't show up until you get to the second post. :)

The CP713-2W models are Chromebooks, so they act a bit differently than the Windows machines. Yours has a Hynix HFM128GDJTNG-8310A 128GB drive installed, and that is an NVMe x4 drive. If the drive has failed then it's easily replaced. You can use any NVMe x4 or x2 drive, though there's no reason to pay extra for the latest version 4.0 models. I'm guessing you are no longer in warranty? If not then you can pick up a 128GB to replace the failed drive for the $25-50 range I believe.

• RINO77
    RINO77 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, same problems here!

About once a week 'missing or damaged OS' etc. Recovery does work, but the last time it took 30 attempts!

Also fails the CPU & cache tests.

It's not the SSD as I ran a test on crosh without errors.

I think it's 14 months old so just out of warranty! What options do I have? I can't simply bin this and buy a new Chromebook!!

Any ideas/options?!

• billsey

Does ChromeOS have an app for reading the SMART data off the drive? I'd bet it's got errors even if it's mostly working...

• skirn

Wait!?! I have to pay a fee to simply learn about possible solutions for a nearly-new Chromebook?

• billsey

I don't see where you were asked to pay a fee. That usually happens when you send a machine in for repair after the warranty has expired. You aren't being charged anything for what we can learn here.

• prusk
    prusk Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having this same issue with a 713, Model CP713-2W-5874. From what I've gleaned doing some internet searches, there might be a manufacturing issue with 713s built in late 2020. The MFG for mine is 2020/11/21, which seems consistent with other units seeing this issue. Has ACER looked into this at all?

• Swamps
    Swamps Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem, same model, same time of manufacture. Seems to improve if you disable the play store. In any case Acer has our money and that's all that matters to them. Very expensive door stop.

Won't buy Acer products again.

• billsey

All laptops that use eMMC drives as a cost saving method have more of a tendency for drive failures than machine that use the more expensive SSDs. When a drive has failed, you typically can't load the OS or update/repair the OS. A CP713-2W-5874 SKU, however uses a 128GB NVMe x2 SSD, not an eMMC. That means the drive should last much longer than the cheaper models. It should have the Hynix HFM128GDJTNG-8310A drive. As I said above, a drive replacement is pretty easy on these.

• redzeddi
    redzeddi Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2023

I have same problem wit a CP713-2W-5874. Run diagnostic and CPU test failed. I sent also the laptop to a repair center (not an Acer one) and they confirmed diagnosis: cpu failure, motherboard to replace, no issue with SDD.

Product is out of warranty (expired last November). Has Acer acknowledged is a product fault ? if not, does it makes sense to replace motherboard? I see that motherboard sells on Amazon at around 500$, already gives me the answer (no, it does not make sense)

• billsey

A CPU failure is rare, and typically not caused by the manufacturing process or board design. Most often it's a child failure of the component or something like static damage caused by improper handling during a repair.

• redzeddi
    redzeddi Member Posts: 2 New User

I would think same, but I see on this community that other users having same problem. My laptop was never repaired before, so this failure must come from something else (it fell a few times on the floor, but nothing happened, screen and else are ok).

• billsey

There are many failure scenarios that result in a boot failure, a CPU failure is just one of the less likely causes. In almost all cases on an older low end laptop it's an issue with the eMMC drive, since eMMC drives have a short life, allowing only a limited number of writes during their lifespan.