I’m looking to upgrade an aspire XC-830Uw91 motherboard

I_am_lasher
I_am_lasher Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I bought an aspire XC-830Uw91 for cheap. It’s Almost perfect for what I want to do except it doesn’t have a PCI’s slot. I want to build a router out of it but ideally it needs a PCI’s slot for the 2.5 network card I wanted to install. So now I’m kind of stuck. I could try using a network card that hooks into the usb 3 slots or I could try finding a motherboard that has the PCI’s slot I need. so is there a motherboard that will fit everything in the aspire case but has the slot? Any guidance would be appreciated!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>except it doesn’t have a PCI’s slot.>>>

Might have a PCI x16 slot with a discrete GPU card. GPU card can usually be replaced by a network card. Use the CPU's integrated GPU instead.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

Just in addition and with the XC-830Uw91 specs are as follows:

1.   Motherboard Socket Type: BGA1090 – Micro-ATX 244x244mm (9.6×9.6 inches) measure your mobo for its exact size as Acer might have a proprietry size mobo..

2.   CPU - Intel Celeron J4125

3.   Integrated GPU: Intel UHD 600

4.   RAM - Max Size (dependent on memory type) of 8 GB total at DDR4/LPDDR4 up to 2400 MT/s DIMMs with Max # of Memory Channels: 2.

5.   1x PCI Express x16 Revision 2.0

6.   PSU 65W Acer generic size

As you can see from the above specs and if you want to use the existing hardware like cpu, ram, psu and case then you need to get the same Socket Type: BGA1090 mobo which are all the same and don’t have inbuilt and/or dedicated PCIe slots for a Wi-Fi-BT card, so you have the same problem as with the OEM mobo, as you need to use the PCIe x16 slot for an additional PCI-E 1X 16X PC Computer 2.4/5GHz Dual Band N Wireless Desktop WIFI+BT 4.0 Card.

If you want to go to a completely new Micro-ATX mobo route that has an inbuilt Wi-Fi/BT feature you have to geta new cpu, gpu, ran and psu and case, as you are restricted by the XC-830s case and its low 65W PSU, so you will have to virtually buy everything and that is like a new desktop. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>except it doesn’t have a PCI’s slot.>>>

Might have a PCI x16 slot with a discrete GPU card. GPU card can usually be replaced by a network card. Use the CPU's integrated GPU instead.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

Here's an image of the motherboard:

#14 is the PCIe x16 slot. You will need a low height card, but that shouldn't be an issue with network cards.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.