XC-1660 PCIe M.2 SSD - drive with a heatsink required?

daytripper
daytripper Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi, I'm looking to install a SSD in my XC-1660, and am drawn to the faster speeds offered by PCIe M.2 instead of SATA.

Does anyone know if I will require a PCIe drive with a heatsink, or to install a 3rd-party heatsink, please?

Thanks,

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Hi,

I don't think you need a heatsink for the M.2 SSD because you have a PC and there's enough airflow inside a PC.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Before installing the new SSD check to see if you have an Intel Optane card installed. Many,, if not most, of the models equipped with a HDD had the Optane card as well. Before you can install the SSD you will have to disable Optane in the Rapid Storage Technologies software, then remove the Optane card. Don't just remove the card and expect things to continue working... Also don't pay extra to get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe card, your bus is the normal 3.0 version so you won't get the extra speed available in 4.0.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • daytripper
    daytripper Member Posts: 4 New User

@brummyfan2 Thanks - I think I'm going to download software to monitor the current temperatures in the PC for a few weeks to give me a baseline to measure against after installation.

@billsey Thanks - I don't have anything installed in the M2 slot so I'm pretty sure the PC does not have an Intel Optane card installed.