What upgrades would you recommend AcerX2 VX2660G so that it runs Windows 10 or Windows 11 better

AliKelman
AliKelman Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I bought a Acer Veriton X2 VX2660G - SFF - Core i3 8100 3.6 GHz - 8 GB - SSD 256 GB from PCWorld a couple of years ago. Last September I added a Bluetooth dongle to it. It seems to work OK.

However I have been looking at the January 2023 edition of PC Pro where I have been reading about PCI-E Gen4 Drives and the like. I have also been wondering if it is possible (or desirable) to increase the amount of RAM memory in the unit at a reasonable cost.

What upgrades would members of this community recommend?

Alistair

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

If it was mine, and the 256GB SSD was a 3.5" SATA3 variety, I'd probably add a 1TB Gen3 NVME SSD card which are about the best deals on the planet right now and make it the boot drive. Costlier Gen4 NVME cards should work too with the Gen3 mainboard but won't operate at Gen4 speeds so not worth spending the extra money on them except if I liked to brag.

If I was a gamer or a 3D cadder, which I'm not, I might add another 8GB RAM and consider another GPU card.

The 8th generation i3 should handle both Win10 or Win11 just fine. But if I liked to brag, I might go for an i5 or i7. Plenty to choose from if money is burning a hole in my pocket.

So I guess other than a bigger and faster NVME SSD card, I probably wouldn't do much else. Only consider the other updates after test driving the bigger faster NVME cards to see how I like it.

But it's not mine. So you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. I suggest that you download and run the crucial dot com scanner on your machine to see what updates they recommend spending your money on.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓

If it was mine, and the 256GB SSD was a 3.5" SATA3 variety, I'd probably add a 1TB Gen3 NVME SSD card which are about the best deals on the planet right now and make it the boot drive. Costlier Gen4 NVME cards should work too with the Gen3 mainboard but won't operate at Gen4 speeds so not worth spending the extra money on them except if I liked to brag.

If I was a gamer or a 3D cadder, which I'm not, I might add another 8GB RAM and consider another GPU card.

The 8th generation i3 should handle both Win10 or Win11 just fine. But if I liked to brag, I might go for an i5 or i7. Plenty to choose from if money is burning a hole in my pocket.

So I guess other than a bigger and faster NVME SSD card, I probably wouldn't do much else. Only consider the other updates after test driving the bigger faster NVME cards to see how I like it.

But it's not mine. So you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. I suggest that you download and run the crucial dot com scanner on your machine to see what updates they recommend spending your money on.

Jack E/NJ

• AliKelman

Tinkerer

Thanks 👍

All that makes sense. A WD BLACK SN750 might be a good upgrade which is selling now at £77 Inc VAT

• JackE

Wow. Seems pretty cheap for a 1TB Black. What's the 1TB NVME Blue going for?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

Thi is just my opinion and of course it depends on how much of an upgrade you want and especially what budget you have? The best for this desktop's performance is to do this, upgrade the cpu to the Core i7-8700 6 core/12 thread/3.2 GHz to 4.6 GHz/L3 12MB/TDP 65W (which is a 100% compatible upgrade CPU) then upgrade the ram to its max 32GB total with a 32GB kit (at 2x 16GB DDR4-2666Mhz spec type: DDR4-2666 • CL=19 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 288-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8 • PC4-21300) and an M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 x4 like a Samsung 970 PRO or a WD NS-750. If and also you want to put a dedicated GPU card, then you need to increase the PSU from the OEM 180W to a bigger PSU and get the appropriate GPU that fits inside the spaces of this desktop.

With the OS run Win-11 / version 22H2 / OS built 22621.819 ONLY then get the OS right up to date and also use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant for all the drivers, and with the GPU get the appropriate and latest driver for that card. As all these upgrades will give you at least an 100% improvement in performance for your existing desktop.

• AliKelman

Tinkerer

The PC Pro January 2023 edition has reviewed M.2 SSDs in considerable detail. Because the magazine has just been released and is on sale everyone in bookstalls it would not be fair on the reviewer, David Ludlow, to give out the results of his work and research. 😊