Acer Aspire M3 AM3420 Turns on but no video signal from VGA or HDMI

Now i have a A10 5700 series 4/4 cores/threads cpu in the AAHD3-VC Motherboard and I found this computer BTW a local business was upgrading their machines and I happened to snag a few of them Now unfortunately the dedicated 2gb i think GPU had been removed! Now the back i/o did have an HDMI connections to the board but the business had it covered up for some reason!

So yes I'm new here and extremely stuck please can someone help me with thiS!

I have a new 650 watt Bronze 8+ power supply too i notices when i tried hooking up the 4 pin ATX_CPU 4 pin power connector is the only time i got an error message!

1. I need to know or see a picture of this thing wired up correctly
  2. I will need to know how the jumpers should be arranged
  3. Uhm so yeah it turns on i get no error noises or anything but I tried both VGA and HDMI ( the a10 has an IGPU) did removing the dedicated GPU mess with why i can not get a signal out of the machines?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

For starter, go to this link to download the two user manuals and we'll go from there. The integrated GPU should not be affected by the presence or absence of a GPU card. It's quite possible that the integrated GPU failed and might explain by the HDMI & VGA mainboard ports were covered.

Jack E/NJ

• Emergencygrant
    Emergencygrant Member Posts: 9 New User

Hey thank you so much for responding I very much appreciate it!

I haver done as you instructed and downloaded the manuals.

So maybe i can include some picture of what i have going on here so If the integrated GPU failed how do i find this out is there a way to know for sure?

And why does the thing start up no problem but Display nothing and why does when i do something the board doesn't like it give me some chime to let me know "hey i dont like this" ? I just get that beep code when it'd try to plug in the 4 pin ATX power or something IDK.

Well is this an issue Im trying to turn this thing on Just the RAM the MB and the CPU so without anything to store data on like I should still get something displayed right? I've got another computer here that just needs a silly cable to power the HDD but the lack of this cable when i powered this PC on it told me NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED so i should see something on the monitor regardless of having a HDD or some other storage device connected to the system correct?

does this mean that If i say took think HDD out of the computer I'm using right now shoved it into the one im trying to build it will start up no problem?

I've had laptops I've swapped HDDs on and there was no issues at all there..

So I've ben just researching away here what about a POST code card is this a good idea do you think?

• JackE

To help test if GPU is good or fried --- but not with 100% certainty ---

1. Remove RAM. Remove any cards in mainboard sockets.
    2. Disconnect cables to HDD & any other drives or optical drive.
    3. Disconnect all external port cables from the mainboard except to KB & HDMI & VGA.
    4. Remove BIOS coin cell.
    5. Move BIOS clear jumper to 2-3 position for about 30 seconds.
    6. Move jumper back to 1-2.
    7. Replace coin cell if voltage is less than 3.1 vdc.

You may or may not hear any BIOS beep error codes. But you should see some BIOS video output activity if the GPU is still alive and the BIOS chip itself hasn't failed..

Jack E/NJ

• Emergencygrant

Hey thank you for responding It really helps and I'm very grateful thank you!

Okay ima go grab my volt meter and check the voltage I think I'll need to buy some CR2032s as i don't think i have any spares around.

Yeah i was playing with the jumpers i saw the little text where it says 1-2 normal 2-3 reset or something i was trying to play around with that but without a manual or knowledge of what I'm really doing its like idk what to compare it to idk surgery without a medical degree?

OKay ill try this now and get back to you thanks again!

• Emergencygrant

SO the voltage was below 3volts and I unfortunately don't have another one on hand so I will have to go grab some and report back in a few days thanks again this whole thing is very disheartening and depressing and I really want to give up but I can't so I will be back with a new battery and and update shortly so thank you for your help and yeah i really appreciate it.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

As long as the AC is plugged in , there is no need for the battery as the clock will keep time.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yes, but you do have to set it in the BIOS for it to keep the right time. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

Or it might forget any other non-default settings. Some machines won't even get past the BIOS with a dead CMOS until the BIOS is re- entered to re-fresh itself each time you try to turn it on.

Jack E/NJ

• Emergencygrant

So Should I attempt to fix this 4 core 4 thread AMDM a10 5700 or just buy a ryzen 5 5700G CPU there on sale pretty cheap RN on amazon!

But then ill need a well just like 8 or 16 GB of DDR4 and a Video card and mother board...

I'm using an Intel core 2 duo as i type this Its a dell optiplex 780 I think the best CPU for this motherboard that i could think of is the xeon i cant remember the Socket for this motherboard i think its LGA775

UPDATE!

OKAY so rhis is what the machine looks like now

@jakeE

Uhm yoh mentioned something about CMOS and then the bios shats that about and how do intell if this thing if dead I really believe that it's functioning just fine as everything else I found was working and anyways the fact I can find this fir sale in amazon for 185 dollars just for the board makes me wanna try to use it! As it would be the most powerful punishment own currently.

I noticed 2 weird pins on the board labeled

Boardid1 J312

Boardid2 J311

Any idea what these are doing or for

So I Power it on no error messages no beeping the things is running fan on the heat sinks is going I take a screwdriver Nd jump the board to turn it on and no video signal I have tried HDMI and VGA and still no signal could it be the monitor im using?

Anyways the quest continues

I have an older motherboard that uses ddr2 ram It's It's acer also it has a phenom x3 triple core processor and yeah

I should try that board maybe I can getbsome success with that..

So even without a storage device IE: SSD NvMe.2 or HDD the computer will show me something correct?

• Emergencygrant

And these are the weird pins I mentioned

Does it matter where I have the ram which dimm slot can I put it any one or what?

• JackE

You must follow the DIMM module socket population rules as shown below. They must be DDR3. Not DDR2 & DDR4. I think the jumpers can identify the PCIe expansion cards to the system. You don't have any. The AAHD3-VC mainboard has an AMD socket FM2 so you must use a CPU compatible with that socket.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

It would be nice if you could find a cheap video card to trouble shoot ? Maybe Ebay ?