Pixels not filling screen I have tried different methods to fix but no changes in VG271US

Options
pezza1972
pezza1972 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2022 in Monitors

I've seen several articles about this, but basically I have purchased specifically 3 monitors with very thin bezels.

However, at the moment these bezels may as well be standard as I cannot, using many different ratios and settings get the display to use all of the screen. There is about a 5mm gap to the left, right and top of the screen although the bottom does seem to use all the screen.

I have tried adjusting display options and I have tried to load the specific acer drivers but Windows won't let me as it says there is no signature. I know I can get round this but I have seen posts that have said they had no difference even when doing this, so I am concerned about going against this when it seems it doesn't work anyway.

I have tried the different scaling. No difference. I have tried custom resolutions, increasing the pixels slightly (again I am concerned about doing this incase it damages the screen) but again no difference. It is almost like the screen size is actually that much smaller so as I say, making the thin bezels pointless.

Wondering if anyone can confirm definite success with this after forcing the unsigned drivers or if anyone can advise if this is a limitation of the display?

The monitors I have are all VG271US

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry I should also mention that the current resolution I am using is native 2560x1440 using HDMI. Not sure if this is relevant, but just in case :-)

[Thread edited to add model name and issue detail]

Answers

• pezza1972
    Options

So just an update.

I have applied the official acer driver which is currently running unsigned.

This hasn't made any difference

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

What are you using on the computer side? HDMI obviously, but a game console, desktop (which GPU), laptop (again which GPU), etc.?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pezza1972
    Options

Thanks for your reply

I'm using a PC running Windows 10 22H2

Graphics card is a 2080Ti ROG. I'm using 2 HDMI ports and 1 Display Port as only 2 HDMI. The cable is actually HDMI but connect through a HDMI 2 to DP converter.

It goes through a smartAVI KVM due to the 3 monitors and I believe all the cables are HDMI 2. All cables from the KVM in to the monitors are also HDMI (again, I believe HDMI2).

Thats interesting though. I will try direct avoiding the KVM just to rule out any limitations with that.

Thanks

Andrew

• billsey
    Options

Which model SmartAVI KVM is it? It might be tweaking the timings to handle full bandwidth for three displays.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pezza1972
    Options

Hi,

Sorry for the massive delay in replying here. I kind of gave up with this but just started looking again and my search came up with my post :-)

Anyway, the KVM I have is a HDN-4 Quad. But I have no way of knowing what timings it is applying, if it is.

I have however, just connected a HDMI 2 cable directly from one of the Graphics Card ports to the second monitor port but it is still not showing full screen. If I go to Nvidia and ajust the size, the maximum I can expand it to stops where it is. It is almost like there is glass what can not possibly show the picture.

I have tried on different resolutions but whatever I pick, it leaves this apparent border.

The direct cable to the monitor did open up higher frequencies, but unfortunately didn't make any difference to the edges.

What next? :-(

Just frustrating as there is little point in getting an ultra thin bezel if it still leaves the size of a normal monitor bezel

• billsey
    Options

Take a couple of pictures showing the issue for us. Maybe one with a solid color, one with the monitor off and closeups of a corner in both modes.

• pezza1972
    Options

Thanks Billsey,

Hopefully 2 attachments. They are both kind of exaggerated as you can see from the pixels…to they eyes it isn't THIS obvious but it shows the point.

Basically, you can see the bezel on both. And then on the one where the monitor is on, you can see the gap between the bezel.

I really don't know if this is just the displayable screen area and therefore no way to expand as it is the limits of the screen. But if this is the case, it is slightly disturbing, and as I say, defeats the object of having a thin bezel.

I know with 3 screens together, there is always going to be the gap of the bezels but I would have expected the display to go up to the bezel.

Hopefully this message posts as I had problem last time. I eventually sent a message to helpdesk and although I didn't get any response, suddenly after that my message appeared

• billsey
    Options

Digging through the service guide doesn't help, they have lots of specs for the display, but not the meat of the displayable area. From this image on the product page:

It does look like there's a small gap between the displayed image and the bezel, most visible at upper left, but I can't tell if it's more or less than what you are seeing.

• pezza1972
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah, a further picture here. It isn't as clear and can't make it out the same but it does look like what I see in terms of the gap.

Oh well, looks like I am going to have to either live with it (still feel deceived as bought these purposely for a 3 screen setup) or try to find one that actually does fill the screen (and check the guide completely!). Warranty is well out on these. Will probably live with it until I am due to change again….probably when my kids get older and swipe my hand me downs :-)

Really appreciate your help on this, but I think I might need to raise with Acer directly to get a definitive answer and to see if there could be anything they can or will do.

Thank you

Andrew