A515-43 tips/guide to upgrading ssd

AlaskaWhy
AlaskaWhy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

hello i hope this is the right place. i have a a515-43 that has a 128gb hard drive. trying to figure out i what need to look for if i would upgrade. internal or external better?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,

You have few options, if you already have a 128GB M.2 SSD in your laptop, you can upgrade it up to 1TB, if you don't want to do it, you can add another HDD of any size you prefer.

1. If you want to upgrade 128GB SSD to a larger SSD, depending on the new M.2 SSD, you need a M.2 SSD enclosure, install the new SSD and clone your current SSD to it usin Macrium REflect free or similar program, replace the old drive with the cloned drive.
    2. You can also install another 2.5" SSD/HDD in the HDD bay for additional storage and keep the 128GB drive for OS.
  • AlaskaWhy

would option 2 be as a backup storage. like the 128gb would be just for the os?. when i was looking at some m.2 they had different numbers. just as example - 500GB M.2 SSD • PCIe NVMe Gen 4 • 6600 MB/s Read, 4000 MB/s Write. or do i really need to look at the m.2 if this makes sense?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Actually 128GB is too small these days, I would suggest a 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD Gen 3 for the M.2 slot and for storage another 2.5" HDD will suffice, Gen 4 SSD also will work but it will be limitted to Gen 3 speeds.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Be aware that your computer maxes out the M.2 slot at x2 speeds version 3, so don't go with the x4 version 4 drive, it would still run at the slower speed your system supports.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AlaskaWhy

i truly wanna thank you guys! you guys actually helped clear up alot confusion i was having. i agree 128gb and 4gb ram is way to small now a days. its a shame really. but lessons learned. thanks again.