Veriton X4640G M.2 Slot I cannot find it, Can a 2242 be squeezed into it?

VoodooVinny
VoodooVinny Member Posts: 1 New User

I am looking for confirmation about the M.2 Slot for the Veriton X4640G as I cannot find it. Can it be used for an M.2 SATA SSD and Can a 2242 be squeezed into it?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

That slot is WLAN only. It sits next to the PCIe x1 slot and really only fits the one size card. #25 in this image:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • awaaas
    awaaas Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi @billsey, can you give me pointer on how to get the service manual for X4640G? Thanks.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer
    edited June 2023

Your Veriton X4640G does NOT have an M.2 SSD drive, it only has 1x M.2 (2230) co-lay with USB 2.0 for WLAN whicxh is at #25 in the mobo diagram above. This desktop has 3x SATA III - Serial ATA 6Gb/s connector at #16 diagram above.

The best upgrades for the Veriton X4640G is to increase the ram to the outlined max specs and modules listed below and to also fit a 2.5" SATA III SSD drive. And if your Veriton hasn't got an i7-6xxx 6th Gen CPU then upgrade to the I7-6700 CPU as all these upgrades will make your Veriton X4640G perform at least 200% better than oem with an i5-6400 CPU or the 16GB supplied ram and the spinner 3.5" 7200rpm HDD.

Ram DIMM Population Guide

• billsey

Acer service guides aren't publicly available, though they do allow some of us access to allow us to post snippets from them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • awaaas
    awaaas Member Posts: 2 New User

@billsey, ok, can you please confirm that there's a way to recover the BIOS like X4620G with a "AMIBoot.ROM" file inserted in a USB flash drive? Do we need to press certain key combination too (like Ctrl + Home on a X4620G)?

@StevenGen you recommend i7-6700, so is it true that this system does not support 7th gen CPUs at all? MCExtractor only report 506E3 microcode (for 6th gen) from the latest BIOS file.

• billsey

Correct, 6th gen only. It's not a BIOS issue, it's a chipset issue. They don't have a published version for BIOS recovery, nothing in the SG at all for that.

• Bozopolis
    Bozopolis Member Posts: 1 New User

I have this computer. It has two M.2 slots. Indeed one is for WAN but there is another one (#17 I think) that's an M.2 2280 slot. That's my storage drive on my computer.

• Ashley_Izumi03
    Ashley_Izumi03 Member Posts: 2 New User

@billsey Sorry to bother you, but do you know what power supply is compatible with this motherboard or how I could connect one? As far as I can see, it doesn't have a 24-pin port, does it?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer

With the 7th Gen Intel cpu and the the Veriton X4640G desktop, you will need to find out for yourself if it works, as we don't have any info on this compatibility with the bios.

Acer listed cpu for the Veriton X4640G from its service guide, Acer does not list a 7th Gen cpu.for this desktop. This is the only info that we can give you. Good luck

Acer listed PSU for the Veriton X4640G desktops

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey

It does not have a 24 pin connector for the PSU, it uses the 12 pin #7 and the 4 pin #1 for power. As you can see from Steven's post, it uses a flex supply which is a different shape than the typical ATX supply. That was because the case didn't allow enough room for the full sized supplies.

• Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Yes you can add an M.2 SATA SSD, but you're even better off when adding an NVMe SSD drive. It can be done by adding an adapter card that can both handle M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 NVMe SSD drives. You will have to abandon your video card in slot #23 and add the adapter card there. Then you will have to rely on the built in Graphics of the Processor SoC for video. Have a look at my topic over here, where I did it for an X4610G.

Adding an NVMe SSD will propel you system into the future and make it nice and fast.