More Ram questions in general, but specific to xc-1750

kokonut
kokonut Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an acer XC-1750 I3 12100

First off, many thank you's to all of you who answer the many questions here, including mine. Sorry a bit of a noobie here, and I try to do as much googling to learn as much as I can without pestering everybody here. SO I have been doing home work, In my little budget desktop , I have found I supposedly have 8gb of server ram , yes ECC. Why, who knows , spare parts perhaps, >>all good, I have discovered that yes, my CPU, i3 12100 can handle ECC ram, BUT my motherboard, intel H610 does not, Why would acer put ECC Ram in??

According to CPU-Z I have MT4ATF1G64AZ-3G2B1, 8 gB of ECC ram. everything works fine, but I am running about 75%to 85% memory usage on Task manager. Not a gamer , just tabs, spreadsheets and some other software I run. I think I should increase Ram , >>>for about the same price I can

1) buy a 16GB ECC ram from the same manufacture (Micron), for 24GB ram

2)buy a 16 Gb non ECC ram from just about anywhere , including Micron for 24Gb ram total, save a few $$ but then have different ram size modules and ECC/Non ECC

3)buy a 2X 8GB kit non ECC , everything all smooth and easy, no mix and match, but no 24GB. Do I really need 24Gb, probably not,, but that is just my guess, again NOT a gamer

So far I have no complaints on how things run, but I know things slow down with age and not quite everything is installed yet and I have not gone tab crazy like I like to do

On another note, I noticed today that the same apps I ran on my windows 10 computer use approximately 1/2 the Ram that they do on my new acer xc-1750 windows 11 computer, is that just windows 11 using all the Ram it can to run things , because it can< that is I have more Ram than I need?

Thank you ALL

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>BUT my motherboard, intel H610 does not, Why would acer put ECC Ram in??>>>

Because error correction is done internally by the ECC RAM chip itself. Doesn't have to rely on the mainboard chipset to do the job of error correction. Much faster & more reliable way of doing error correction for a little bit more money.

Go to crucial dot com and run their scanner on your system to see what it recommends for RAM upgrate and max. Most crucial .dimms are made by Micron and competitively priced.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2022

The most sensible and cheapest way to upgrade ram from your existing “MT4ATF1G64AZ-3G2B1, 8 gB of ECC ram” which is a DDR4-3200MHz CL22 < the CL is important so match that exactly to your OEM type ram and search if you can get this same exact type ram on eBay, Amazon or anywhere on the web, and match it like a 2x kit form (btw, that is what I’ve done to many desktops and laptops) and it works 100% every time.

What I would do is upgrade this desktops memory to 16GB total 2x 8GB DDR4=3200 MHz CL22 - 22-22-22 modules (as that is the Acer recommended type ram) which is a total of 16GB and it’s the best amount for just basic computer usage and even playing some games in dual channel and will reduce your “75% to 85% memory usage” but of course having more ram will make your desktop even better. This entails using the existing 1x 8GB memory and buying either the exact and same ram module that you have, or buying the exact and same module specs ram from another manufacturer, see CPUz at Memory > CAS# Latency (CL) as the SPD section also tells you the exact part number and manufacturer. Match that and you will have 16GB (2x 8GB DDR4-3200 at dual channel ram.

Below are the Acer specs/guide for every DIMM 1 & 2 suitable combination ram for your XC-1750 of your desktop to populate ram up to its limit of 64GB (2x 32GB), it’s a simple process as you can also do a Crucial System Scan that will also give you a guide of what their modern ram will fir into your desktop.

• JackE

>>>BUT my motherboard, intel H610 does not, Why would acer put ECC Ram in??>>>

Because error correction is done internally by the ECC RAM chip itself. Doesn't have to rely on the mainboard chipset to do the job of error correction. Much faster & more reliable way of doing error correction for a little bit more money.

Go to crucial dot com and run their scanner on your system to see what it recommends for RAM upgrate and max. Most crucial .dimms are made by Micron and competitively priced.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

I can't imagine why it's even working with server memory. Acer says they only ship these with unbuffered non-ECC DIMMs. Buffered memory should fail at the POST memory test. Intel's spec sheet on the H610 Chipset says ECC is not supported. Are you sure that's what's installed? And if it is, are you sure you are running on the stock motherboard?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kokonut
    kokonut Member Posts: 5 New User

WELL well well, I have gone to the crucial site to run the scan, it doesn't work for me. I have talked to a couple of people there, and they keep insisting that I have server Ram . According to CPU-Z, I have Micron MTA4ATF1G64AZ-3G2B1 and now I see it is indeed desktop Ram. Everything makes more sense now.

Thank you

• JackE

>>>they keep insisting that I have server Ram>>>

And I agree with them. As mentioned earlier, error correction is done internally by the ECC RAM dimm itself. I doubt it matters if the chipset can do error correction or not. Doesn't have to with ECC dimms. FYI, dimms are desktop RAM modules. SOdimms are laptop RAM modules.

Jack E/NJ