Aspire One ZG5 how to add SSD drive

ChipMaker
ChipMaker Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I have an....old Aspire one that I think once ran Linux, it has a small cover in the base for what I'd guess would be for an SSD hard drive ...but there's no socket to plug it in..I have opened it up and it didn't look very hopeful on the upgrade front ..is there any magic that can be done with such a machine to be able to use it for anything useful?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• @ChipMaker

Please provide the exact model of your computer. You can see it on the sticker on the back of the laptop.

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• ChipMaker
    edited November 2022

SNID: 8XXXXXXXXXX

It has no operating system on it, I did have a very cut down version of windows 95..but it was so slow. I tried it also with a 128Gb sd card ...but that wasn't life changing

[Edited the thread to remove sensitive information]

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Your actual model number is likely a AOA150-xxxx with the last four digits defining the actual SKU. That cover is for the optional 3G module used in some SKUs, not for a SSD or HDD. You aren't going to find much help with upgrades, the memory is soldered to the MB so not upgradable and the swap between a HDD and SSD, while giving the biggest performance boost, isn't likely to be big enough to make it very useful. Maybe use it for something dedicated, like the controller for a 3D printer? :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ChipMaker

Model wise I have....AOA 110 - Ab on a sticker, thanks for the tip for the 3D printer I have a Raspberry Pi doing that, and it seems much quicker than the laptop..thanks for your comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer

Yeah, the Pi is likely a bunch more powerful. :) I have my CNC router and my two 3D printers connected to machines vintage 2006 running 32bit Windows 10. The Raspberry is being used as a remote access web interface to them...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.