Triton 500 CPU/GPU/System Temperature Questions

Options
jc0101
jc0101 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2022 in Predator Laptops

I've been using this machine lightly for about 5 months now. No gaming at the moment, just work station stuff like email, browsing, etc.

I've recently begun experiencing snowflakes and erratic page displays. Scrolling up/down can clear it up and it seems to be totally random. It prompted me to look into the system, so I started with PredatorSense. The screen shots below show temperatures over about an hour period, the system temperature was taken at the same time of the CPU/GPU temperatures. The laptop was mostly idle the entire time with the exception of Snipping Tool and opening Firefox:

Fan speed is constantly fluctuating and seems to follow the temperature changes, I don't know if this is a recent development or if it has always done this.

Questions:

1. Is there a problem with the CPU temperature monitor? At one point, the CPU temperature drops from 85 to 40 degrees. In my non-computer electrical experience, this behavior is a temperature sensor failure. I would expect to see the CPU temp closer to the system temp rather than what is seen here if the machine is at idle.
  2. I haven't spent much time looking at PredatorSense, but I've never seen activity from the Nvidia GPU. Why am I seeing GPU temperature registering if it should be inactive?
  3. If there is a CPU temperature measuring glitch, can this cause the problem I'm experiencing with the graphics or is it unrelated?

Any insight is appreciated!

Answers

• jc0101
    edited October 2022
    Options

FWIW, I just ran a benchmark test if it helps clarify anything:

UserBenchmarks: Game 15%, Desk 86%, Work 14%

CPU: Intel Core i7-11800H - 85.4%

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics - 9.1%

SSD: Nvme WD PC SN810 SDCQNRY-512G-1014 512GB - 441.6%

RAM: Kingston ACR32D4S2S1ME-8 2x8GB - 58.4%

MBD: Acer Predator PT516-51s

• StevenGen
    Options

If your laptop is under Acer warranty, then I would not try and do anything except send your Triton 500 to Acer Support for them to fix this temp issue as there could be major issue that you should fix under warranty. The PredatorSense showing a CPU temp of 75c at virtually idle is high especially for a high end and new laptop like the Triton 500 with an i7-11800H and an RTX-3060 and 32GB ram for this laptop to show fan speeds at idle of 3448rpm to 4161rpm, and for the RTX-3060 gpu to show zero temps, is very unusual and there must be a fault, as it should show a temp reading.

The cpu temp at 75c could also be because you have other apps and software running in the background that could be utilizing the cpu and the integrated gpu allot and why you are getting those temps, also it could be from numerous other things like, thermal paste deterioration, faulty fans or driver problems or even a sensor problem like you say.

With the Nvidia RTX-3060 gpu, this gpu only operates at high end graphics needs for your laptop, you can change the “NVidia Control Panel "settings so that the RTX-3060 is utilized for specific application instead of the integrated gpu, as at default settings, it does not operate all the time only for high end graphics like gaming, editing etc,. But and just as an example, in my Nitro 5’s AN515-56 with vertually the same specs, i7-11800H with the RTX-3060 (gpu code NVIDIA GN20E3) with 16GB dual channel 2x 8GB DDR4-3200Mhz ram, and my NitroSense never ever goes at idle above cpu 44c at 2268rpm and the gpu never goes above 38c at 2380rpm at virtually the same tasks as you are doing with being on the web and being on this forum, right now, so 75c is really gaming/editing temps and are a bit high. Good luck and hope I've helped you out some as I would send this laptop back to Acer and get them to analyze all those temps' problems as for a 5-month-old laptop this should not be happening.

• jc0101
    edited November 2022
    Options

Steven - thank you for your quick response.

While I was desperately trying to find a solution, I wanted to make sure I had all the bases covered. I had heard about bloatware and how it can affect performance and I hadn't done anything to address it. Just to rule it out, I ran the basic free online bloatware tools. As evidenced below, to say the results are shocking would be putting it mildly:

The above charts are running in parallel to each other as in the previous post. I would disregard the CPU/GPU temperature values, the comparison is primarily between the lines and their level and stability compared with the pre-bloatware removal.

Needless to say, I was not expecting this. Slight improvement, yes. But this has taken care of the wild temperature swings and constantly fluctuating cooling fans. As I type this, the computer is totally silent.

It appears that before the bloatware removal, the CPU was under a constant 5 - 6% load. Why and how, I'll never know. I'm doing nothing with the computer other than scrolling down a webpage or typing an email. This will not only waste a ton of energy over time, but break down the computer much quicker. In an age of such excessive waste and "carbon footprint" concern, why is this not more of a conversation? How many everyday computers, like those of most of my friends and family that are not computer literate, are operating in this same fashion??

This has been a hard lesson for me in bloatware and what a real problem it is. I wanted to share my experience in hopes that someone else will benefit. I wish I had run these tools as soon as I received the computer.

While it does appear the temperature problem is solved I will continue to chase down the snowflake graphic issues (particularly with Youtube) since they do persist and will post back here with questions or updates.