A 517-51G-54L4 Screen goes black randomly

Options
Bill243
Bill243 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2022 in Linux

I have an Aspire that's a few years old that the screen randomly goes black but the CPU is still on and none of the keys are functional. If you close the top and reopen everything come back on where you were.

One suggestion I saw online was to update the Bios, Is there a procedure to update in Linux. The "readme" procedure is for Windows.

Any other suggestions to correct the problem.

Model 517-51G-54L4

SNID XXXX

SN from Bios Page NXGSXAA0037350

CPU Intel i5-8250U

OS Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

System Bios v1.08

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Could still be that the LCD cable connectors need to be reseated at the mainboard and base of screen to help clean/refresh their contacts inside.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Does an HDMI TV screen or monitor also go black at the same time? If the TV screen stays on, it's likely the LCD lid screen video cable needs to be reseated or replaced due to trace/wire breaks in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much.

Jack E/NJ

• Bill243
    Options

Will try and test with another screen next time it fails, since it is a random event I can't reproduce. The laptop sits on a desk and the lid is rarely closed, so this should not be due to wear. Will get back when I know more. Thanks

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Could still be that the LCD cable connectors need to be reseated at the mainboard and base of screen to help clean/refresh their contacts inside.

Jack E/NJ

• Bill243
    Options

Any good procedures you can recommend for how to get to the connectors?

• JackE
    Options

None good. Remove HDD & RAM doors. Then 17 screws & pry off bottom cover to access mainboard cable connector in upper right hand corner near lid hinge. Hopefully, re-seating it a few times will resolve the issue. If not, then the screen bezel has to be pried off to access the other end of the cable near the base of the screen. Google search keywords A515-51 & disassembly for videos of the agony involved. Best to first check out if the external screen exhibits the same behavior or not before tearing it apart.

Jack E/NJ