Adding an internal SSD drive to TC-895-UA92

Larryodie
Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

If I buy an internal SATA SSD.

Will I need a new SATA cable, if so where do I buy ?

Also will I need to do anything to Bios or do I install and format and let Windows add it as drive D etc. It'll only be for data,

I have external hard drives but I want to extend mu existing 512 SSD as it's almost full.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder

@Larryodie yes, you will need another SATA cable. You can get it from the local PC store or the same online seller that you got the SSD from to reduce the shipping price. Just install the SSD and create local disk drive in Disk manager if you don't see the new drive appears.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Larryodie

Thanks AnhEZ28'

If this is the cable "50.VQED3.001

I only see EBAY from the UK ?

• Larryodie

Actually, it looks like my TC-895-UA92 is a routine installation is routine with the cable provided by ACER in the box.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder

@Larryodie if there is a spare SATA cable in the box, you don't need to get a new one.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • @Larryodie

Since it is only for data there is no need to change any settings in bios. There is no need to install the operating system. Simply connect the hdd and start using it.

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• @Larryodie

Kindly go through the details captured from service manual designed for your computer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Larryodie
    edited October 2022

I'm buying the Crucial MX500 (1 TB) from B& H Photo.

Thanks everyone as I'll post the outcome.

• Larryodie
    edited October 2022

I had thought that I was going to have to buy a 50.VQED3.001 cable but after a visual and with you guys expert help,

I see that I don't need one. Thanks again.

• Larryodie

So Far, it's OK. It has hardly any heat, no problem to hold in hand when it's running but I may get the holder, it seems to be plastic so I'm not sure if it is doing any heat sinking.

I may clone the 512 SSD NVMe (99 GB free of 475GB) hard drive t have a back up ready in case the main one fails ?? What you think ??

This is from Crucial

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/initialize-ssd-windows

How to Initialize Your SSD for Windows®

Before you can use your new SSD you have to initialize and partition it. If you are performing a clean installation of your operating system, or cloning to your SSD, it is not neccessary to follow these steps. A clean installation of your operating system or cloning to an SSD will initialize and partition the new SSD.

Note: if you simply need to format/reformat a drive, only steps 5-9 below will be needed, assuming your SSD has previously been initialized. 

1. Attach the SSD as a secondary drive and load Windows from your existing drive.
    2. In Windows 7 and earlier, open Disk Management by right clicking on Computer and selecting Manage, then Disk Management.
    3. In Windows 8 and later, move the mouse to the lower left corner of your desktop and right-click on the Start icon, then select Disk Management.
    4. When Disk Management opens, a pop-up will appear and prompt you to initialize the SSD.
    5. Select GUID partition table (GPT) and click OKMBR (Master Boot Record) is best for certain legacy software compatibility, but GPT is better for modern systems and higher capacity storage devices.
    6. Right-click in the area that says Unallocated and select New Simple Volume...
    7. The New Simple Volume Wizard will open, click Next.
    8. Leave the Specify Volume Size as the maximum (default value) and click Next.
    9. Select a Drive Letter and click Next.
    10. In the Format Partition screen, decide on a Volume label (the name you want to give the drive) and click Next.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yeah, that won't get you anything bootable. If I were going to use the 512GB SSD as a backup image I'd clone the drive then unmount the one that's not needed. In your case I'd be using the M.2 slot with an NVMe drive for booting, the SATA drive for data and the old M.2 NVMe in an external case as a backup of the boot drive. That's pretty much how I had my last desktop setup. My 'desktop' now is a laptop with an eGPU. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie

Yes. I'll probably just replace the NVMe if needed, with a larger capacity unit.

I'll probably just do a copy, for now but I'm intending to reformat and do a F10 or install WIn 11 from a USB with my server turned off to get rid of this Microsoft & One Drive ***** that keeps interrupting me. I use Google Drive and pay for 100GB to backup pictures, etc on CLOUD. I think that it's like $19 a year.