Constant shutdowns GWTN156-TLKA

Sideburns
Sideburns Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I have a Gateway GWTN156-TLKA computer that I bought late last year. For about a month, when I have it on my lap, the power jack has been wobbling, so that it keeps reporting that it's unplugged, charging or fully charged. Today, it's been shutting itself down every ten minutes or less. If it matters, I'm running Fedora 35 Linux, have no access to a copy of Windows. When/if you respond, please try to make generic suggestions and let me translate them into how to do that under Linux. Thanx in advance for any assistance!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer

If this laptop is under warranty don't open it or do anything and send it back to Gateway, as your problem very much sound like the DC port must have dislodged from its space and there could be even a negative or a positive wire that has partly broken and not making full connection with the DC port at the back, hence affecting the charging of the battery, or the actual DC side power ports internal negative pins have expanded and are not making 100% contact with the power adaptor plug, which is also due to a loose DC power port and stopping the laptop from charging the battery properly and is the reason for your laptop turning off. Check all that out as the DC port needs to be looked at and secured.

• Sideburns
    Sideburns Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

That's quite possible, as I just had to restart it and the Battery icon on the taskbar shows it at 0%. However, I've also seen it do this at or near full charge. If so, I'll have to find a way to back up /home/ME, as that's where all of the data I don't want to lose is.