how do i change the administrator on a computer i recently bought from a garage sale

Options
BruceWayne2022
BruceWayne2022 Member Posts: 1 New User

i recently bought a Gateway all in one pc from a garage sale. the pc works great, but when i went to download a program it asked for an administrator password. i dont know that or the person i bought the computer from being it was a garage sale. how do i fix this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

We can't make posts about disabling Windows security. Which Windows version is it running? There are lots of options for older OS versions out there, not as many for the current stuff short of a complete reinstall.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    Options

Do it through Control Panel:

Step 1: Type control in the search box and click on Control Panel under Best match.

Step 2: In the Control Panel window, change the View by to Category and then click Change account type link under User Accounts.

Step 3: In the Manage Accounts window, click Add a new user in PC settings to add an administrator.

Step 4: Follow the elevated instruction to complete the process.

Step 5: Click on the newly created user account to continue.

Step 6: Click on the Change the account type in the left pane.

Step 7: Choose Administrator and then click Change Account Type to save the changes.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

And that, of course, will ask for the current admin password, just as batman suggested. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.