Please Help - Battery 0% available (Plugged in) - Laptop turns off without chargerP300 PH315-53 2020

Options
Y2K
Y2K Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hi, I really need help resolve this issue with my laptop.

Model - Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 (2020 model)

CPU - I7 10750H

GPU - Nvidia RTX 2060

Ram - 16GB DDR4

It is only 2 years old now (about 25 months). I recently experienced this issue in July after travelling with it on a plane half way across the world. I think it was a bit rough ride as it was placed in the cabin near my feet. When I turned it on in a day or so that when I turned on the laptop it turned off after a few mins even though the battery was 100% when I started it. IT just drained rapidly even before I could understand and plug in the charger. Then it would turn on only when charging. I didn't notice the light patterns or anything but after a few days it just started working normally.

Then months later and another ride across the world a couple of weeks ago, yesterday (I don't move it a lot, only on the table or from the table to the sofa), it had the same problem except this time the battery did not drain but was stuck at 100% yet when I would remove the charging cable or push the cable further in, the laptop would just turn off. This time the battery light was slowly blinking orange while the power light was constantly blue. I couldn't figure out what is the problem. Today, came across a post where somebody mentioned the RAM slot touches a battery button which if it does not touch properly then it will cause a similar problem. I am unable to open the laptop right now so turned it around and on the back panel was just trying to understand where or what it could actually be. When I turned it around again and placed it on the sofa, the slow blinking orange light turned to a constant blue which I think indicates a full charge. But as soon as I disconnect the charger the laptop just powers off and all this while the battery icon on the tray "0% available (Plugged in)"

This is a very expensive laptop in my country where I bought it and it is hardly old. I used my Asus laptop prior to this for over 8 years until there was a battery issue. I don't now what is the reason here but I would appreciate help from knowledgeable and senior members or anybody who has experienced and resolved this issue. I have tried uninstalling the battery driver (that with the long name) from device manager and all that did was to freeze my laptop in a startup loop when I booted it up. Then I had to pull out the power cable. Also pressed and held down the power button for half a minute. Put the cable back in and started the laptop. It started fine but the battery problem is still there. Also for sometime now and I can't recollect how much but the system gets heated a lot when charging and a little better when I remove the charger.

Edit - Forgot to mention while troubleshooting I updated the bios as well. It was v 1 or 1.01 or something before. I have updated it to the latest version available v2.04. This was coincidentally between the blinking issue yesterday and then it turning constant blue today. Updated it earlier today.

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• Y2K

Tinkerer

Options

There is an interesting observation - When I start the laptop the battery seems to be fine for the first minute or so but then the problem returns so I wonder what is causing that?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Try resetting the battery: disable fast startup in power options, turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter, press the power button for thirty seconds and leave the computer off for half an hour.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • William_mk2
    Options

@Y2K

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..  Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help. Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer. Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery. Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door. Just below that you can find a latch. If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.  Hold the power button for 1 minute. After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear. Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.  

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.  Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet. Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.  Try to use an alternative charger if possible.  Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand Battery

right click on all the items below battery – uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@Y2K

If you are still same facing the same issue, then please try the steps given below it's likely the battery meter needs to be recalibrated. If your AcerCareCenter does not have the option to calibrate the battery meter, follow these directions

1. With the laptop turned off, connect the AC adapter and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue.
    2. Turn the machine back on.
    3. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    4. Use battery power until the battery-low warning appears.
    5. Reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery again.
    6. Follow these steps again until the battery has been charged and discharged three times.

It should work fine now.

If you are still facing the same issue then it is time for you to replace a new battery.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Y2K

Tinkerer

Options

I tried that. Held the power button for over a minute and left the laptop for a few hours yet the same thing that when it starts the battery charges for about a minute and then stuck at 0% available (Plugged in).

I read somewhere that sometimes the RAM slot does not close properly and causes similar issues so could it be that? Can somebody share Helios 300 (2020) specific battery switch location and how to cover it?

• Y2K

Tinkerer

edited October 2022
    Options

I have attached an image of the back panel of my laptop model. Can't find the button or the extra panel. It is Helios 300 2020 version. There is a button at the top though between the silver - have circled it in the image. Is it that? I think this was covered previously under a caution sticker or something which probably came off a few days ago. I tried pressing the button but it doesn't seem like a button. Please let me know if this is the button you are talking of and how do I go about it. Or if in the image you notice anything else.

I will try default the bios although I haven't made any changes to it. Probably the first time I entered the bios screen yesterday after updating them to the latest version.

Also I have tried uninstalling the battery driver and then restart as I mentioned in the first post. That didn't help me.

• Y2K

Tinkerer

Options

I have defaulted the bios and I think it has made the situation worse in that the laptop was heating lesser previously. Just entered the bios and then applied default settings. Saved and exit to start the system. In any case, it hasn't helped solve the battery problem. Also I can't try your next solution because to try that the laptop must start and run without cable but as I described my laptop won't start on the battery.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Y2K

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.  Hold the power button for 1 minute. After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.  Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet. Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.  Try to use an alternative charger if possible.  Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

If the computer is still not working fine and if it works only with the charger connected then it is time for you to replace the battery.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,209 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    Options

Download hwinfo and have a look at the wear level of your battery at the left side of the smart battery menu.

• William_mk2
    Options

@Y2K

If you are still same facing the same issue, then please try the steps given below it's likely the battery meter needs to be recalibrated. If your AcerCareCenter does not have the option to calibrate the battery meter, follow these directions

1. With the laptop turned off, connect the AC adapter and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue.
    2. Turn the machine back on.
    3. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    4. Use battery power until the battery-low warning appears.
    5. Reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery again.
    6. Follow these steps again until the battery has been charged and discharged three times.

It should work fine now.

If you are still facing the same issue then it is time for you to replace a new battery.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the lithium battery?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Y2K

Tinkerer

Options

Hey, thank you so much the video was really helpful for me to open the back panel which still took me over a couple of hours. However, I couldn't figure how to disconnect the battery or if there is a switch/button that needs to be pressed for the system to detect/use the battery. Do you have any specific video for my model on how to disconnect and reconnect the battery or about that button which others have mentioned in response to this problem in older threads? It seems to be a common problem.

I have tried the CMD powercfg/batteryreport command so far and it shows mixed results in terms of estimated remaining battery capacity which seems to have gone up and down in the past as well. Attaching that from a few days ago. When I stated facing the problem there was still some capacity but now it shows nil, however I feel it is a connection thing than an actual battery thing. I am just trying not to install anything more on system until the problem is completely resolved yet if this report isn't sufficient then please let me know.

I tried the Acer Care Center Utility to Recalibrate the Battery. It used to work fine before. Since I have been facing this problem, I haven't been able to run that feature as the circle just keeps going round without making any progress. However, the last time I tried it, my laptop immediately shut down. Any idea what could it be?

• William_mk2
    Options

@Y2K

Kindly go through the details which is captured from service manual designed for your computer.

Steps do the battery reset

Turn off the computer. Unplug the charger cable. Hold the power button for 45 seconds or 9 seconds.

Plug the cable back and start the computer.

On the base view which is listed below you will not find the pin hole to reset the battery.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

It's quite simple. Just pull the connector, carefully, towards the battery:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer