Acer Quick Access Support causing random daily shutdowns (clean Windows 10 install)PHelios 300 PH317

Options
Atreides
Atreides Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2022 in Predator Laptops

I purchased an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-55 a month ago (Sept. 2022). At first boot I created a Microsoft account then later discovered I preferred having a local account (not linked to a MS account). So I performed a clean install using a newly downloaded Windows 10 Media Creation Tool USB drive (installs version 21H2). I reinstalled all the Acer drivers and software from the Predator Helios 300 download support page. This included Predator Sense, Acer Care Center and Acer Quick Access Support.

After several days of use I noticed at night often the computer would shutoff even though I had disabled sleep/hibernation. I followed numerous guides and setting changes to stop these random shutdowns. They would happen when the computer was idle and throw an Event 41 'system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first' error and Event 6008 'previous system shutdown...was unexpected' in event viewer. I also ran hours of RAM checks (as some guides had suggested) and found no errors. After meticulously testing and retesting different setting combinations I grew so frustrated that finally after days and days of research I uninstalled almost all the software and was ready to do another clean install. 

Solution:

After uninstalling Acer Quick Access Support the problem stopped. No more random shutdowns. I even went away for an extended weekend coming back to find the computer had not shutdown.

Further Testing:

To be sure, I reverted all my setting changes to base specs (except of course No Sleep when pluggin in). And then ran the computer for several days. No Shutdowns. And finally since now I was certain it wasn't settings related, I reinstalled the Quick Access Support. Sure enough within one day, there were 3 random shutdowns and it continued. If I walked away from the computer at some point during idle time the Quick Access Support would trigger a forced shutdown. Uninstalling it once more fixed the problem.

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this period of time was. If I had not saved my work and walked away from the computer, when I came back it would be gone if a shutdown had occurred, which of course is unacceptable. I am posting this to help anyone else who is finding themselves in the same situation. The Quick Access Support is mostly redundant and unnecessary so I do not feel at a loss not having it installed. If you are having Random Shutdowns, try getting rid of the Quick Access Support and see if that helps.

~Atreides

Specs:

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-55-71YX

Purchased: 9/3/22

Windows 10 (21H2) 19044.2130

Intel® Core™ i7-11800H processor Octa-core 2.40 GHz

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 with 6 GB dedicated memory

17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 144 Hz

32 GB, DDR4 SDRAM (upgraded 2 x 16 GB DD4)

8 TB HDD (upgraded 2 x 2 TB SSD, 1 x 4 TB SSD)

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• William_mk2
    Options

@Atreides

I understand you say " I am posting this to help anyone else who is finding themselves in the same situation. The Quick Access Support is mostly redundant and unnecessary so I do not feel at a loss not having it installed. If you are having Random Shutdowns, try getting rid of the Quick Access Support and see if that helps."

Thanks for your suggestion..

I understand you also say " So I performed a clean install using a newly downloaded Windows 10 Media Creation Tool USB drive (installs version 21H2). I reinstalled all the Acer drivers and software from the Predator Helios 300 download support page. This included Predator Sense, Acer Care Center and Acer Quick Access Support."

There is an alternative suggestion i would like to suggest.

Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  scroll down - click on eRecovery media on the bottom of page.  Enter the snid no - you can place the order for recovery media.  It might be a set of disks or recovery usb flash drive.  Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  You can also order it from Acer store. 

Recovery media is a unique media which is designed only for your computer.  It cannot be used on any other computer.  It comes with drivers and applications which is designed for your computer.  

Please install the windows using Acer recovery media and then try to check whether the computer is shutting down randomly.

If you contact Acer you can get the recovery media which is designed for your computer. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Atreides
    Atreides Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

@ William_mk2

"Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  scroll down - click on eRecovery media on the bottom of page.  Enter the snid no - you can place the order for recovery media."

Thank you for the suggestion. I considered doing that but then learned that I could install the drivers and software from the support download page for free and that making a Windows Install drive was also free. I choose not to pay additional money to buy the USB recovery flash drive from Acer.

The computer is running perfectly now. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Atreides