Acer Aspire T690 - How to boot from USB?

I have an old Acer Aspire desktop with Windows Vista. I'm trying to install a new OS; either a newer version of Windows or whatever will work best. I have a USB stick that I downloaded Windows 10 onto but I can not figure out how to boot the desktop using the USB. When I do what I think I'm supposed to, I keep getting an error message about the partition.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

@morgan08yo

If your downloaded Win 10 USB flash drive is bootable, you can keep tapping the F12 ( or Fn + F12) key about 3 times a second while still in black screen while bootup to reach the boot menu. Choose to boot from the USB flash drive instead of the Windows Boot Manager.

Tell us more about the partition error message.

I had a retired self-built with configurations similar to the Aspire T690 ( C2D CPU, 2 GB maximum RAM motherboard). Even though Win 10 tried hard to allocate as much RAM possible for the user, I was able to open a few tabs in Chrome but whenever I tried open another program at the same time the PC was extremely slow or crashed. My conclusion was that the PC was just not suitable for modern computing needs and the PC thus retired years ago.

My friend, take this time to replace the old PC with a new one so that you can take advantage of the new technologies such as using NVMe solid state drive and much faster CPU. You will appreciate how much time you save every year while the PC waiting for your command instead of you wait for the PC to finish a task.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

If F12 doesn't get you there then do a F2 or Del. Whatever gets you into bios and do a "BOOT ENABLE' or " F12 Enable", save the changes with a F10 and exit. Then reboot again using the F12.

You can leave the Boot Enables as it'll never normally change.

You may be wasting time trying to make a Vista machine, an Win10 but let us know as how it works out..

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,424 Trailblazer

By default Windows 10 installation flash drives are setup for UEFI boot. Your system is too old to support UEFI, so you need an installer setup for legacy booting. If you start with the Windows 10 installation image file, you can use Rufus to create a legacy (MBR) bootable flash drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited October 2022

Please delete this post.