how do you increase video ram from system ram

Options
the_stuipid33
the_stuipid33 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have just bought an acer aspire 5 laptop (this one to be exact https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Computer-Graphics-Keyboard/dp/B099YN7CJP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3HPMPU4ZQYJC6&keywords=acer%2Baspire%2B5%2Bslim%2Blaptop&qid=1665105766&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjAzIiwicXNhIjoiMy4zNCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNTgifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=acer%2Baspi%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-5&th=1) and i have about 20 gigs of ram. However only 2 of those gigs are being dedicated to video ram and games are running at around the same framerate as my old computer. I've followed multiple youtube videos and none of them worked, im still at 2 gigs. What am i doing wrong?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited October 2022
    Options

First and if your laptop has any problems, consult Acer in your area and get them to analyse your new laptop, don’t change and/or open your laptop as it will void your warranty. The Ryzen 3 3350U cpu that is on this laptop, is not really a gaming cpu/gpu combo and you have to realise that only certain games can be played on this laptop.

The Ryzen 3 3350U with its integrated graphics the Radeon™ Vega 6 Graphics that works on a core count of 6 and runs at base frequency of 300MHz to a boost clock of 1200 MHz is not a gaming giant! To increase its base memory (do this at your own risk, as I take NO responsibility if you stuff things up) you need to do it within windows, so read and follow this extensive and extensive guide: Increase Dedicated Video RAM (VRAM) in Windows 10 and 11 but be very careful as changing the windows registry in windows can harm and brick your system, and if you don’t have experience in changing the registry properly, then don’t do it, as I take no responsibility if you brick or harm your laptop. Also and with stated 20GB DDR4-2400Mhz you should have plenty of memory to allocate to the graphics and make the Vega 6 Graphics perform better, also make sure that all windows and AMD drivers are up to date by using the Auto-Detect & Install AMD Radeon™ Graphics and Ryzen™ Chipset Drivers for Windows®