Acer V277U Monitor will not work with Ubuntu at native resolution (2560x1440).

Options
Eric404
Eric404 Member Posts: 2 New User

We purchased 30 or so of the Acer V277U 2560x1440 monitor at my work. They worked fine with Windows but now we cannot get them to work at 1440p with Linux. They show the initial boot screen and then go into a no-signal state as soon as the OS sets the native resolution. If the computer is hard coded to any lower res, they work fine (although at wrong resolution. Linux works fine at 1440p with other brands of monitors. Has anyone seen anything like this? Very much regretting buying these now that they seem to be the one monitor that won't play nice with Linux.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

It might help if you could reveal the distro and if machines were set up dual bootable with fast startup disabled.

Jack E/NJ

• Sober
    Sober Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Any solution? i have same problem. I have 3 v277u - no signal on all new intel cards.

On old intel 4570, 10100, nvidia 710,1050 - it works without any problem

It doesn't work on 12100,12000, celeron 4500. I can set fullhd, but on native - no signal…

Tested on arch and ubuntu 22

• Eric404
    Eric404 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Never found a real solution, unfortunately. Ultimately we added a start-up script that changes the display to 1440p at 45hz. Not ideal but it got them working and most people don’t notice, even though I notice the low refresh rate immediately. Very unfortunate. I would never buy this monitor again and am disappointed that nearly everyone is stuck with it.

• JackE
    Options

It might still help if you could reveal the distro and if machines were set up dual bootable with fast startup disabled.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

It sounds like the graphic drivers for Ubuntu aren't realizing they can do the higher resolution. Check their settings to make sure they can handle everything the GPU can.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • krytenuk
    krytenuk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

It could be a cabling issue. I have an old Acer connected through VGA but was not recognized by Ubuntu/Gnome. I managed to edit the xorg.conf file to force FHD resolution. I eventually changed the cable and my monitor was recognized strait away with the correct resolutions and refresh rate shown. Apparently some VGA cables are not fully wired so the monitor cannot send its details to the graphic card and ultimately to Gnome in my case. Also using adapter cables can cause the same issue. I also had a second monitor with HDMI to DVI cable, this had the same issue until I replaced it with standard HDMI cable.

• Sober

Tinkerer

Options

Perfect news!!! Problem is fixed.

I did full upgrade(new kernel + drivers) and now it works.

Distro:

Manjero kde plasma(without update - black screen, installation require another monitor or video card)

Hardware H610 + i3 12100

Connected via DISPLAY PORT! works out of box(clear install & pacman -Syu) at 2k@75. HDMI - not tested.

Problem 100% - drivers, because windows at same hardware works flawlessy

• Sober

Tinkerer

Options

Problem 100% - drivers/kernel, because windows at same hardware works flawlessy

• Sober

Tinkerer

Options

as you can see kernel version 6.6.25-1

• Sober

Tinkerer

Options

Problem solved after kernel&drivers update.

Linux manjaro kde plasma, hardware i3 12100.

After full upgrade image appears. But still impossible install distro without another monitor/video card. Old drivers - no image.

• JackE
    Options

Congrats. Thanks for report.

Jack E/NJ