I have an Aspire 3 A315-21-68QC and recently (from advice I was given) purchased a Samsung NVMe M.2

Options
john47gang
john47gang Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Hi

I have an Aspire 3 A315-21-68QC and recently (from advice I was given) purchased a Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD. When I installed the SSD it was not recognised by the BIOS or the laptop generally, I have since learned that there are several different M.2 types.

My M.2 mount has a single notch and I think that I should purchase a SATA/  PCIe, is this correct?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

john47gang

[Edited the title to add model name ]

Answers

• john47gang

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the info, however, my M.2 has only one slot position, see image. I do think it's SATA/ PCIe.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

The connector on laptops are suitable for both types of M.2 SSDs but the difference is in the motherboard configuration, the PCIe pins in the slot will stay dormant when you insert a M.2 SATA SSD due to the second gap in the SSD.

Corresponding pins to the second gap in the SSD will stay dormant.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I agree with colleague brummyfan2. However, have you checked if the ssd appears in the bios info tab?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • john47gang

Tinkerer

Options

Hi

Thanks for the info.

The Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 SSD did not show up in the BIOS or anywhere else on the laptop, when I tried to install the drivers I was told I needed to install the M.2 first and also Magician did not recognise it. I have taken another image of the M.2 slot on my machine, this shows only one gap, will the 860 EVO SATA M.2 work on my machine. I can check speeds etc elsewhere

Kind regards.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

As others have stated, your system only support a SATA drive in that slot. Typically the SATA drives have two notches in the connector, so they can fit into the SATA only slots like your and the NVMe/SATA slots on some newer machines. SATA uses the B notch (PCIe x1), NVMe the E notch (PCIe x2/x4).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • john47gang

Tinkerer

Options

Hi All

Lets bring this conversation up to date:

I have an ACER aspire 3 A315-21-68QC

Motherboard squirtle_SR V1.12

Main drive has been replaced with 1Tb SanDisk SSD Plus with Read/Write 545/450 MBs.

Suggested by Acer community - Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2 is even slower than my main drive. I am hoping for speeds of over 3000/MBs.

As stated earlier my M.2 slot only has one notch (image attached)

Is there a M.2 which will fulfil my needs ?

• billsey
    Options

Only the M.2 SATA drives will work, and they all run at SATA speeds. There is no way to get speeds such as 3000/MBs with your system. The hardware just doesn't support it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • john47gang

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the reply, but, what about PCLe drives ?

Can the BIOS be tweaked ?

Thanks

• john47gang

Tinkerer

Options

Hi All

Checked with ACER tech and they confirm only SATA works. My problem now is that my bay (see previous images) only has one notch and there does not seem to be a corresponding M.2 drive OR will the two notch drive work on my motherboard?

Thanks

• billsey
    Options

The two notch SATA drives will work fine. Almost all SATA drives these days have two notches so they can fit in both types of slots.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)