what type of SSD does acer Aspire 3 A315-21 support?

hellobuddy
hellobuddy Member Posts: 2 New User
I opened my laptop and it seems that it does have a M.2 NVMe slot does support NVMe?
If not, what type of ssd do you suggest?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021
    trim-support.html
    I opened my laptop and it seems that it does have a M.2 NVMe slot does support NVMe?
    If not, what type of ssd do you suggest?

Your Aspire 3 (A315-21) features an М.2 2280 NVMe PCIe slot and a 2.5-inch SATA-3 HDD/SSD slot it can accomodate M.2's but it depends on your budget? This is just my opinion only as I've used Samsung mainly, as the Samsung 970 EVO SSD is a very quick and reliable and one of the top M.2 drives available, it has great software like the "Magician" and the cloning "Data Transfer" software that makes cloning very easy, also and with all SSD's always execute the TRIM command within windows. You can also use other M.2's from manufacturers like Western Digital model SN550 or Crucial model P1's, its up to you and whatever your budget is. 

• hellobuddy
    hellobuddy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Are you sure my laptop supports NVMe? Because the crucial scan says it doesnt. But some website says it does? Budget is not a problem though I need performance.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Are you sure my laptop supports NVMe? Because the crucial scan says it doesnt. But some website says it does? Budget is not a problem though I need performance.
    Hi,
    I don't think it supports M.2 NVMe SSD but you won't notice much difference between these drives, NVMe SSD is more beneficial if you transfer large files very often, otherwise M.2 SATA SSD speed is sufficient for normal day to day work.
    UserBenchmark: Acer Aspire A315-21 Compatible Components
    Aspire 3 A315-21-47B4 and M.2 SSD — Acer Community
    NVMe on Aspire 3 A315-21 — Acer Community
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,893 Trailblazer
    edited March 2021

I’ve looked at most of the A315-21 specs from the “Acer Service Manual” and your A315-21 does not accept "M key" NVMe type drives, it only accepts the type M.2/ "B-M-Key" (SATA 6Gb/​s), this is a caption below for the “Solid State Drive" from the "Acer Service Manual (on selected models” so this is 100% accurate, also and with these types of drives make sure that you execute the TRIM command within windows as that will increase the lifespan of your SSD and make it perform much quicker and more efficiently. Below is one of the recommended M.2 drives by Acer and its full specs the "SK Hynix Canvas SC308 256GB" and they are:

• Type - Solid State modules (SSM)
    • shape factor - M.2 2280
    • Interface - M.2/​B-M-Key (SATA 6Gb/​s)
    • Read - 530MB/​s
    • Write - 370MB/​s
    • IOPS 4K read/Write - 95k/​85k
    • memory modules - 2D-NAND MLC
    • Reliability prediction - 1.2 Mio. hours (MTBF)
    • controller - SK Hynix
    • Protocol - AHCI
    • Power consumption - 3.00W (maximum), 2.30W (operation), 0.10W (idle), 0.003W (Sleep mode)
    • Dimensions - 80x22x3.5mm
    • Warranty - three years (handling by merchant)

I know that there are allot of very misleading information on allot of these sellers and manufacturers sites and its very easy to get confused and/or mislead and order the wrong drives and/or memory for laptops and desktops. The info above is from "Acer Service Manual" and its the official specs so its 100% correct! Don't buy an NVMe M.2 type drive as it wont function with your Aspire 3 - A315-21. Good luck. 

• Jonmapp
    Jonmapp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum.  I'm trying to work out if I can install the crucial MX500 1tb SSD I've bought in my Acer Aspire 3 A315-21-433L.  I've cloned the drive ready to go.  When I opened up the cover where the hard drive would normally be on the back, there was nothing there. I've since learnt about the M.2 card slot installed memeory listed above.  I can source the necessary cable to connect into the motherboard, I can buy a bracket for the SSD but I'm looking for a definitive answer as to whether I am wasting my time.  Appreciate any help you can offer. 
  • RaymondW
    RaymondW Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am wondering if this 

PNY - CS900 250GB M.2 SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Is compatible with my 

Aspire A315-21-927W laptop

• Jorj
    Jorj Member Posts: 4 New User
    StevenGen said:

I’ve looked at most of the A315-21 specs from the “Acer Service Manual” and your A315-21 does not accept "M key" NVMe type drives, it only accepts the type M.2/ "B-M-Key" (SATA 6Gb/​s), this is a caption below for the “Solid State Drive" from the "Acer Service Manual (on selected models” so this is 100% accurate, also and with these types of drives make sure that you execute the TRIM command within windows as that will increase the lifespan of your SSD and make it perform much quicker and more efficiently. Below is one of the recommended M.2 drives by Acer and its full specs the "SK Hynix Canvas SC308 256GB" and they are:

• Read - 530MB/​s
    • Write - 370MB/​s
    • controller - SK Hynix
    • Protocol - AHCI
    • Power consumption - 3.00W (maximum), 2.30W (operation), 0.10W (idle), 0.003W (Sleep mode)

I know that there are allot of very misleading information on allot of these sellers and manufacturers sites and its very easy to get confused and/or mislead and order the wrong drives and/or memory for laptops and desktops. The info above is from "Acer Service Manual" and its the official specs so its 100% correct! Don't buy an NVMe M.2 type drive as it wont function with your Aspire 3 - A315-21. Good luck. 

Plz check if that module support M.2 with Nvme protocol, my model is ASPIRE 315_21-22VP, and what's the best performance m.2 ssd i can bought,my processor is E2 9000, i don't want to be in bottleneck position, what's your advice my friend?🙏, and that's the slot it self 
  • Jorj
    Hi,
    I don't think it supports M.2 NVMe SSD but you won't notice much difference between these drives, NVMe SSD is more beneficial if you transfer large files very often, otherwise M.2 SATA SSD speed is sufficient for normal day to day work.
    UserBenchmark: Acer Aspire A315-21 Compatible Components
    Aspire 3 A315-21-47B4 and M.2 SSD — Acer Community
    NVMe on Aspire 3 A315-21 — Acer Community
    Plz check if that module support M.2 with Nvme protocol, my model is ASPIRE 315_21-22VP, and what's the best performance m.2 ssd i can bought,my processor is E2 9000, i don't want to be in bottleneck position, what's your advice my friend?🙏, and that's the slot it self 
  • Jorj
    StevenGen said:

• Read - 530MB/​s
    • Write - 370MB/​s
    • controller - SK Hynix
    • Protocol - AHCI

Plz check if that module support M.2 with Nvme protocol, my model is ASPIRE 315_21-22VP, and what's the best performance m.2 ssd i can bought,my processor is E2 9000, i don't want to be in bottleneck position, what's your advice my friend?🙏,ana thank you