Spin SP513-54N - Display blackout

hamlet88
hamlet88 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi.

The laptop screen on our SP513-54N Spin machine went out after being taken out of sleep mode. The HDMI screen will still receive a signal but I can get video on the laptop itself.

I have uninstalled & rreinstalled the driver.

Wondering if there are known problems with this particular laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,801 Trailblazer
    edited October 2022

Try to reset the battery by doing the following:

Insert a paperclip at #3 in diagram below this is a "Battery reset pinhole" which simulates removing and reinstalling the battery.

If the above does not work or bring your monitor back, then undo the back cover and take the main battery out and the rtc/bios battery out, leave them disconnected for about 5min plus, and then reconnect them and try to boot your laptop back, as that is a hard reset that should rest all settings within the super IO chip and bios chip and if that doesn't work then its either a cable/plug for the screen that is damage or and last its the actual screen (which is not cheap) that needs replacing.

Your SP513-54N SG screen is a LED LCD Panel - Acer NE135FBM-N41 LED LCD Panel - Acer part#: KL.1350H.001

Main Battery

RTC/BIOS Battery

• hamlet88

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

pin hole suggestion did not work.

suspect this will be the answer: JackE said:

>>>Connect HDMI to external monitor works, but could not find the major display.>>>

This suggests the LCD video & cam cable connectors are either loose, dirty or a cable wire in the hinge area may have broken due to wear and tear of opening closing the lid too much. New replacement cables are fairly inexpensive. Google sp513-54n & video cable for vendors who ship to your location.

btw, here's a pic of the back of the machine

[Edited comment to delete personal or sensitive information]

• hamlet88

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

would folks recommend using this cable?

also, any videos showing how homegamers can replace this cable?

also, also are other folks having the same issue with this laptop?

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • hamlet88

Tinkerer

edited October 2022

nothing happens when i press Fn+F5 or Fn+F6

do folks from Acer watch these boards?

this is a relatively new computer.....wonder if other folks are having the same issue....class action?

• hamlet88

Tinkerer

what tool takes out the screws in the back of this thing? can someone provide a link please

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677

Hi @hamlet88

You can try to reset the laptop to check if that makes any difference.

Check the above link to do a reset.

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,815 Trailblazer

The case screws use a T5 Torx driver. Try reseating the cable at the motherboard end. They don't sell a cable separate form the LCD assembly on this model and consider the assembly as not user serviceable, all one piece.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hamlet88

Tinkerer

thanks @billsey for the info on the screws! will need to order a screwdriver that can handle that

does it mean that the screen is bad because the webcam still works? (tested it out in Teams) that is, the screen is still the black screen of death but the webcam is still functioning.

does that tell us anything?

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,815 Trailblazer

The camera and display signals are located on the same cable, but on different wires, so you can have one fail in the cable without affecting the other.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hamlet88

Tinkerer

thanks billsey....would have thought that if a cable became disconnected then both the camera and display signal would be lost. interesting that one could lose the display yet keep the camera