Help! Updating bios/drivers for my Predator G3-710 (i5/Radeon 360 model)

Options
momagic
momagic Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

First post and a n00b so please bear with me!

I've had my trusty Predator G3-710 for about 5 years and it never let me down. For the last 6 months it's been slow so I am going to update to a M.2 SSD 1TB to help with boot times and stuff.

I've searched the forum to find out that my motherboard does support M.2 but before I go ahead and install it (how hard could it be? LOL!) I wan't to update my PC to the latest BOIS/drivers.

I've entered my serial number in the Acer webpage and got this result: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6373?b=1&pn=DT.B14EK.022

When I clicked down to BIOS I got this warning: Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution.

My question is, is there anything specific I need to do or install something in a specific order?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,979 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

That SSD won't work, it's NVMe and your motherboard supports SATA drives in that slot. You can update the BIOS to R01.A4 without an issue. Download the BIOS to your Downloads folder, then extract all. From the resulting new folder go into Windows and double click the install.bat file. Don't try to update to any of the R02 versions of the BIOS, those are for a later motherboard than yours.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

You can install one m2 2280 sata 3 ssd and four more 2.5" ssds:

Can you tell me what bios version is currently installed?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • momagic

Tinkerer

Options

I'm using an app called CPU-Z and its says my BIOS is R01-A1 (10/07/2015).

I also typed 'wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion' in CMD and got the same version.

• momagic

Tinkerer

Options

Basically, I've got this SSD on a deal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-3-500-Internal-Solid-MZ-V8V1T0BW/dp/B08TJ2649W/

I hope that it's compatible to use as boot.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

That SSD won't work, it's NVMe and your motherboard supports SATA drives in that slot. You can update the BIOS to R01.A4 without an issue. Download the BIOS to your Downloads folder, then extract all. From the resulting new folder go into Windows and double click the install.bat file. Don't try to update to any of the R02 versions of the BIOS, those are for a later motherboard than yours.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • momagic

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you, I will give updating the bios a go!

you Saved me the hassle in trying to install it! Sad times, though, it was a great deal!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Wait! Maybe I was hasty. Some users managed to install an nvme on that computer, see: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-G3-710/21107

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Options

Remember there have been at least two different motherboards for the G3-710. Though spec says SATA only it's possible the 7th gen motherboards support NVMe while the 6th gen do not.