Laptop not charging - orange and blue lights flashing simultaneously Aspire 5 A515-52G-7337

Options
j_s
j_s Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2022 in Aspire Laptops

My laptop isn't charging.

Laptop model: Acer Aspire 5 A515-52G-7337

Charger: A11-065N1A 19V 3.42A 65W

Battery: AC14B8K (4ICP5/57/81) 15.2V 48Wh

First the laptop was dead, wouldn't boot, charge or do anything. Occasionally, I got a BIOS screen that said "critical low battery".

I did a number of things (battery reset button, physically disconnected the battery, tried to let the laptop charge for several hours) and I managed to boot the laptop (and make a recent backup of my data).

The battery itself is at 30% now. However, the battery still isn't charging...

When I connect the adaptor, the orange and blue lights starts flashing (simultaneously). The happens also when the power cord of the adaptor is not connected to the power socket.

Things I've tried so far:

• Reset battery button
  • Physically disconnected the battery. Note that the laptop won't boot with the battery disconnected and the adaptor connected. Orange and blue lights were also flashing in the same way when I tried this.
  • Tried to let the laptop charge for several hours + overnight
  • Measured the voltage of the battery using a multimeter => 19.2V, seems OK
  • Measured the voltage of the adaptor using a multimeter => 15.1V, seems OK
  • Run the battery report (in attachment), seems OK

Any ideas? Is it my battery, adaptor or something else? Any help is much appreciated!

( Edited the title to add the model name )

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>"critical low battery".>>>the orange and blue lights starts flashing (simultaneously).>>>Tried to let the laptop charge for several hours + overnight>>>

Unfortunately the battery may not be recoverable if allowed to discharge below the critical 5% level. But try this. With the laptop off & plugged in, wait for at least 24 hrs to see if the battery charge LED ever turns from blinking/ steady orange to steady blue If not, you should replace the battery.

Jack E/NJ

• j_s
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi guys, I've some good news. The laptop suddenly started charging again (first full orange and later full blue). I've kept it charging for 24 hours just to be sure. Everythings seems to be working now like nothing happend :-). Thank you for your help!

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>>"critical low battery".>>>the orange and blue lights starts flashing (simultaneously).>>>Tried to let the laptop charge for several hours + overnight>>>

Unfortunately the battery may not be recoverable if allowed to discharge below the critical 5% level. But try this. With the laptop off & plugged in, wait for at least 24 hrs to see if the battery charge LED ever turns from blinking/ steady orange to steady blue If not, you should replace the battery.

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,804 Pathfinder
    Options

@j_s try to get a new adapter. Both lights blinking often stands for the faulty adapter.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • j_s
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi guys, I've some good news. The laptop suddenly started charging again (first full orange and later full blue). I've kept it charging for 24 hours just to be sure. Everythings seems to be working now like nothing happend :-). Thank you for your help!

• JackE
    Options

Congrats on your success. Thanks for reporting back. 🙂 Try not to let it discharge again below about 10% level. Every time it drops below the critical 5% charge level, there is a high risk of it not being recoverable.

Jack E/NJ

• Hpcfixer
    Hpcfixer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

This simultaneously flashing of the blue and orange leds has happened twice to me. Both times it was the charger that had to be replaced. Opening the chargers I did sense a smell of overheated electronics. I believe the main reason for this overheating was I had left the charger plugged in the power outlet for months.

In my cases I could unplug the charger from the laptop and then reconnect. Then after a short while when the laptop decided to resume charging the flashing of both leds started again.

For you experiencing intermittent behvior it may be because during troubleshooting you left the charger unplugged (from mains) allowing it to cool .