Acer KG1 Series monitor does not connect to my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop

Options
CodeyHuntting
CodeyHuntting Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop that has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card and an AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics card. The NVIDIA graphics card is not compatible with Oculus Link, so I disabled it, forcing all graphics to go through the AMD graphics card. However, this has prevented me from connecting the laptop to my Acer KG1 Series monitor. When I re-enable the NVIDIA graphics card, the monitor connects perfectly. But while the NVIDIA graphics card is disabled, I am unable to connect the monitor to the laptop. The laptop cannot detect the monitor, and the monitor says "No Signal" in perpetuity.

It is not clear to me why this would be occurring. The box that the monitor came in says that the monitor supports AMD FreeSync, which suggests that it should be compatible with AMD graphics cards, but for some reason it does not want to connect. My only theory at this point is that my laptop's HDMI port is only able to output visual information from the NVIDIA graphics card. If there were some way to configure the HDMI port I would love to try, but I do not know how.

What I have already tried:

• Using a different HDMI cable
  • Updating the drivers for the AMD graphics card
  • Rolling back the drivers for the AMD graphics card

I really need to get this to work while using only the AMD graphics card so that I can use the monitor and the Oculus Link at the same time. If anyone knows anything about this issue please do not hesitate to post an answer!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options

Likely the laptop only have the HDMI port connected to the AMD internally, so if the AMD is disabled there's no signal.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.