ConceptD 7 Ezel (i7, 1TB, RTX2060) RAM upgrade

fjbmx
fjbmx Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I recently upgraded my laptop's ram from 16 to 64gb on a 32x2 kit from crucial. it runs at 2933 and it seems fine. But my BIOS time basically went from pretty much nothing to 40 seconds AND i'm getting boot looped when I request a restart (when I force shut down or just shut down it's ok), is there any reason for this? The modules are running well in windows, the bios detects them, etc. I downloaded the newest bios and to my surprise I was already running the latest version. When I installed the modules I made sure to use none conductive tools, an antistatic bracelet, and of course I disconected the battery.

Everything is ok, thermals (well, as good as they get on these laptops anyway) , stability, etc. but I'm yet to run the mem test

Does anyone have similar experiences?

cheers,

Frank

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    1. Temporarily disable fast startup in Control Panel's power button app. Then shutdown Windows normally.
    2. Turn machine back on and IMMEDIATELY tap F2 to enter BIOS menu.
    3. If total memory is correct, press F10 to save settings, exit & boot to Windows.
    4. Shut down Windows normally again. Wait a minute or two, then turn machine back on.
    5. If all seems OK, re-enable fast startup.

Jack E/NJ

• JTconceptD
    JTconceptD Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Any updates on this?

I'm having similar issues trying to install and run 64GB on a ConceptD 7 Ezel (CC715-71-7196).

OS & BIOS detect 64GB - system boots and runs fine untill windows is restarted (or so it seems, normal shutdown seems OK - but testing this hand trying to figure out whats going on has been a nightmare)

I'd love to know if theres more to your experiance or if the reply above helped (I had done this at some point, turned off fastboot and forced the bios to save when it was correctly regestering memory - but I cant avoid the reboot and at some point my machine started reporting 32GB installed - when I tried to get backto having it see the full 64 then I started getting bootloops)

• JTconceptD

Tinkerer

Wanted to update my findings in case anybody found it useful in the future.

Crucial says this system can take 64GB but I tried their memory and had the same results as the original poster (bootloop when doing Windows "restart" but fine booting and running 64GB from a normal shutdown followed by a power button start).

I tried the steps listed in the second post - they didn't help with crucial memory.

I did find that disabling fastboot from inside Windows (not the fast boot setting in the BIOS) did make 64GB of Kingston memory behave somewhat better. I got it to not bootloop after a windows "restart"BUT when it came back up after the reboot it would only recognize half (32GB) of the installed memory (64GB).

None of it makes sense in the end - this computer will run 64GB memory but with serious caveats. It only runs 64GB from a normal power button on start and you either cant do a windows "restart" because it will boot loop or if you manage to avoid the boot loop (by getting lucky testing different brands of memory apparently) performing a windows "restart" will still corrupt something and likely cause some kind of memory issue (in my cas only showing 1/2 the installed RAM)

I could be wrong but it seems like a BIOS update for the ConceptD 7 Ezel's is needed

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>>I did find that disabling fastboot from inside Windows (not the fast boot setting in the BIOS>>>>

Item #1 referred to above ">>>1. Temporarily disable fast startup in Control Panel's power button app. Then shutdown Windows normally.>>> is in fact the fast boot inside the Windows environment not the BIOS fast boot option. The Windows fast boot option probably should remain disabled as it can cause more trouble than the little time it saves in Windows booting.

Jack E/NJ

• JTconceptD

Tinkerer

Thanks, Yes, Originally when I read your post I assumed it was the BIOS - laterI read that again and noticed that you meant the Windows fast boot. I tried all combinations of both the windows fastboot and the BIOS fastboot disabled/enabled. Nothing changed the problems with the windows "Reboot" function either leading to a bootloop or causing the system to detect 1/2" of the installed RAM.

I agree that the setting inside of windows for fastboot should be left disabled - I came to the same conclusion myself, I've left it off, I prefer to have an actual shutdown rather than the suspension/caching it does when its on.