Two different Chromebooks, same issue(cb315-3h)

Dakotamidnight
Dakotamidnight Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2022 in Chromebooks

So both my (cb315-3h) and my teens Chromebook (cb311-3h)developed the same issue within the span of an hour yesterday. First my teens wouldn't charge, but mine would. I was going back and forth with the charger trying to figure out what was wrong. Mine Needed charged, but not low warning yet. Then suddenly Neither would charge and no charging lights, just black screen and won't start on both. Thought it was the charger, got a new one and let sit overnight and nothing. Charger not even getting warm.

Ideas? Fixable? I've already tried refresh+ pwr button several times on both. Really hope I can fix it as new laptops aren't really in the budget right now

(edited the title to add model name )

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I wonder if Google pushed an update that hit them both near the same time? What do the status lights show when plugged in?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dakotamidnight
    Dakotamidnight Member Posts: 2 New User

No lights are coming on at all. Nothing on the charging port, nothing when I try to turn on.

Update might be possible - I remember I had one but I think I'd already done it - mine is set up to hold updates until I restart. Not 100% sure though.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

If it weren't both at the same time I'd tend to look into the battery status, maybe open them up and measure voltages. The lithium ion batteries are designed so that if they drop below a threshold they disable charging. That's due to the risk of fire or explosion when attempting to charge a battery where the lithium 'whiskers' internally (which grow as the battery is discharged) have poked through a cell. That low of a battery usually requires a fair amount of time sitting idle with a fully discharged battery though, so not to likely in this case. Can you measure the charging voltage on the new charger? Perhaps it came bad from the vendor?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.