Nitro AN515-45 when I connect the external disk(s) these are not correctly detected by the system

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    edited October 2022
    Options

OK. Now seem to have better bearings of what I was looking at before.

What USB-to-SSD brand/model adapter are you using? What brand/model SSD is Disk2? What operating system is on Disk2?

Jack E/NJ

• xsolinsx
    xsolinsx Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

I have several USB-to-SSD enclosures:

None of them works with my Nitro5, however they all work with my Desktop PC

Same applies for HDD/SSD, I have several of them

• SSD: Sandisk 128GB containing a Debian OS
    • HDD1: Western Digital 320GB
    • HDD2: Hitachi 500GB
    • HDD3: Western Digital 250GB

None of them works with my Nitro5, however they all work with my Desktop PC

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

OK! Try this procedure:

a) press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system startup, enable safeboot and restart windows.

b) then go to bios, go to main tab, press ctrl+s and change sata mode to ahci.

c) press f10 to save and exit and then check if the same problem occurs in disk management.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

OK. I'll await a response before commenting to see if it's already AHCI or not.

Jack E/NJ

• xsolinsx
    Options

Seems like it's not, because it's already set and I don't see any toggle to change that (picture of the whole BIOS below).

The disks get detected (I can hear the sound) but they keep connecting and disconnecting and Windows Explorer as well as Disk Management keep having troubles loading them (if they load them at all)

• JackE
    Options

My own experience with these adapters is that they're fairly reliable if the drives are initially partitioned, formatted & used on a USB port, not so much internally. They're even more reliable if done on the same USB port of the same machine that they're actually going to be used on.

In laptops, I've had better luck with direct USBplug-to-2.5 socket cables without enclosures or docks like you're using. I simply use anti-static bags as enclosures. I've had less luck with USB-to-2.5+3.5+5.25 multi-socket. But surprisingly I can still read my old XT-era 10MB HDDs. 🙂

Bottom line, USB drive adapters --- even thumbdrives --- probably shouldn't be 100% relied on for transferring files from one machine or drive interface to another machine or drive interface --- eg sneaker-net. So I don't think there's anything wrong with your laptop's USB ports. They just don't seem to play nice with the docks & enclosures that you've chosen.

Here are mine. Not great but have been useful mainly for transferring files from old HDDs to my main workhorse laptop.

Jack E/NJ

• xsolinsx
    Options

So you are saying that out of:

• 2 Aukey adapters
    • 2 Elutang adapters
    • 1 docking station
    • 3 hard disks
    • 1 ssd

as they are not recognised (in any combination) on my Acer laptop running windows, it is these devices' fault.

Even though they all work with any combination with my desktop and my old laptops, as well as when running Linux on the same laptop?

That is just impossible

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

When you plug in the external hard drive, do you see any problem drivers in device manager?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

>>>as they are not recognised (in any combination) on my Acer laptop running windows, it is these devices' fault.>>>That is just impossible>>>

But they indeed are recognized by both diskmgmt.msc and diskpart. Just not correctly readable. It can happen. Almost nothing is impossible especially with these cheap USB enclosures or docks using drives that have been written to on other machines or with other drive interfaces. I suggest trying to wipe clean one of your HDDs or the SSD from your simplest 2.5" only adapter from the nitro. Then partition and format it from the nitro. Then see if you can read and write to it OK. If you don't want to clean one of the drives you have, then simply get another HDD to test since they're cheap enough these days. A 1TB WD HDD is only about $40usd. I really don't think anything's wrong with any of your nitro's USB ports. And I doubt warranty repair service would find anything wrong with them either.

Jack E/NJ

• xsolinsx
    Options

none

I tried formatting from the nitro 5 but that gives an error and won't proceed, it makes the disk in the RAW format

• JackE
    Options

>>>I tried formatting from the nitro 5 but that gives an error and won't proceed, it makes the disk in the RAW format>>>

Yes, should be cleaned first. Then GPT or MBR partitioned & formatted using diskpart. If diskpart fails to clean and partition the RAW disk, then I suggest that a direct USB-to-2.5" socket cable be tried. https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/diskpart-fix-raw-partition-7201.html

Jack E/NJ

• xsolinsx
    Options

formatting from linux (also wiping the partition table) works like a charm, Windows just won't make it

anyway, the problem still exists

• JackE
    Options

That further confirms nothing's wrong with the hardware.

If diskpart can't clean the USB-connected drives, I'd either try

1. A direct USB-to-2.5" socket cable, or
    2. DriverBooster or similar driver freeware tools to see if they can pick up any better Windows buss drivers on line. or
    3. Uninstall all the Windows USB controller & connector drivers, re-boot and let Windows auto re-install fresh copies, or
    4. Update the chipset driver, or
    5. Factory Windows re-set

If it was mine, I'd probably only go as far as 4 since I rarely use Windows for anything anyway. Least of which is to run an internal drive in a USB enclosure. Just not worth the hassle. Besides, once the factory system drive has been divied up for dual booting, the hidden factory recovery partition is often no longer accessible unless you created a factory USB image beforehand..

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

I noticed that the disk does not have a letter. Try adding a letter to the disk through disk management:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xsolinsx
    Options

I went as far as point 4 and I managed to just get Windows to recognize the drive and see it in Windows Explorer.

That's it, it won't go further than that, I can access the disk but it is SUPER slow, taking minutes to read/write even small files.

Windows shows no progress (progress stays at 0% until the file gets read/written completely) and sometimes an error is given: "semaphore timeout period has expired", code is 0x80070079

Again, the disks and adapters are fine, they work with any other computer I have, even a raspberry pi 3.

I was not able to do that, it just wouldn't proceed because it detected the adapter connecting and disconnecting.

Now I am trying with another disk (to rule out filesystem incompatibilities) formatted as NTFS with just data, but I get the troubles described above.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

can you check if the disk appears here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer