Acer Nitro 5 - AN515 57 584E (i5 11 + RTX 3050) RAM Incompatible?

Options
Bawnsy
Bawnsy Member Posts: 3 New User

HI!

I've decided to upgrade my Nitro (refer to title for model) that came with a 8GB stick of Samsung 8GB 3200mhz 1xR8 M471A1K43DB1-CWE SA1-11(CL22),

with a 16GB Samsung M471A2G43AB2-CWE SA2-11(CL22).

I've tried every ram slot configuration including:

-1 slot occupied by the 8GB stick (vice versa)

-1 slot occupied by the 16GB stick (vice versa)

-1 slot occupied by the 16GB stick; 1 slot occupied by the 8GB stick (vice versa)

Even with no slots occupied. Yet, to no avail, in any configuration with the 16GB stick only boots to a black screen without an Acer logo or signs of life besides the lighting keyboard and the power-on light.

Any ideas?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,453 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022
    Options

The two Samsung ram modules of the 8GB and the 16GB ram's modules look the same specs ram and should be compatible and work, I presume that the 8GB is the Acer fitted OEM ram that works perfectly? What I would do is this, take the ram out completely, then take out main battery and disconnect the RTC/BIOS batteries and leave them disconnected for 5 min and then the first thing is to connect 16GB ram into slot #2 (as shown in guide below), then the RTC/BIOS battery and then the main battery and boot the laptop up (be patient as this can take up to 1 to 2 minutes) and see if the laptop boots correctly? Otherwise, and if the laptop doesn't boot, then the 16GB DDR4-32000MHz Samsung ram is more likely a faulty ram module (as the model number is virtually the same as the Acer OEM 16GB module, listed below) and should not be not compatible with your laptop and you need to send it back., as its very unlikely that the mobo ram slot is faulty but, if your laptop is under warranty you should send it back to Acer.

Btw, why do you want to add a 1x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ram only as having 2x 8GB DDR4-32000MHz total of 16GB and paired ram with your OEM 8GB ram will be cheaper upgrade and make your AN515-57 run in dual channel mode and allot better than with a 1x 13GB DDR4-3200MHz ram module, do you intend to increase the total ram to DDR4 32GB at 2x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ram for a total of 32GB ram later?

Anyway, hope this helps you out as I've got an AN515-56 (which is virtually the same laptop) and all I did is added a 1x 8GB DDR4-32000MHz and from the same manufacturer which is SK Hynix and the same part number (as the best ram upgrade is to buy paired ram kits) and its exactly like the Acer fitted OEM SK Hynix 8GB DDR4-3200Mhz ram and it works perfectly and shows in Task Manager speeds at 32000Mhz and in CPUz >Memory >Timings section at DRAM Frequency of 1597.3MHz at CAS# Latency (CL) 22.0 clocks and at General >Channel #: 2x64-bit which means Dual Channel.

AN515-57 Memory Combinations of AVLC

Recommended OEM Acer suitable ram for the AN515-57

• Bawnsy
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you so much for the swift and in-depth answer. I'll try this immediately. Also, I thought it would run dual channel when I've added the 16GB. Apparently not haha

• Bawnsy
    Options

Tried the battery + cmos reseat; regret to inform that the 16GB memory simply isn't compatible. Thanks for the advice!

• StevenGen
    Options

Yes, I think that the 1x 16GB DDR4-32000MHz RAM into only RAM slot #2 that RAM is not compatible with your laptop, if you want 16GB total at "Dual Channel" you need to have 2x 8GB DDR4-3200MHz type RAM into both slots #1 and 2 for it to work. Have a look at this Crucial System Scan for the Acer Nitro AN515-55 RAM & SSD Upgrades as that tells you all the compatible RAM that works with your AN515-57 as probably and if you want to upgrade to just a 1x16GB you need to exchange that Samsung 16GB DDR4-32000MHz module that you have to a DDR4-2666MHz, as that will work. Btw, I know all this as I've got an AN515-56 which is the same laptop as yours and what I did is just buy the same 8GB DDR4-32000MHz OEM RAM and fitted it and it works in dual channel and perfectly. Good luck and hope I've helped you out.