Boot time in Acer Aspire F15 F5-573T-545K

kris123
kris123 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2022 in Windows 10

I have an Acer Aspire F15 (F5-573T-545K) with 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD and Windows 10 as OS. It used to work fine earlier however takes forever just to boot up now. Is any optimization in applications possible to improve the boot time other than upgrading to SSD ?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

If you have a mechanical 2.5" HDD as your boot drive then its probably that drive that is faulty or getting old, as the mechanical HDD's do age and their first symptoms of failure is what you are getting. Your F5-573T-545K can accommodate a B&M end key type M.2 drive (see the Acer OEM M.2 drives fitted to your laptop) or a 2.5" SATA III 6.0GB/s SSD or mechanical drives. Its best if you Install HWINFO64 and go to Bus > PCIe version to see what your speeds your M.2 interface is.

M.2 SSD drive location and OEM Acer suggested for your laptop

• kris123
    kris123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2022

Thanks for the answer. I checked the HDD connecting it to another device. The contents are intact and data transfer is working. Notebook is booting as well but taking a lot of time.

1) While it may be possible that HDD has some issues, is there an objective method to verify if HDD is faulty ?

2) Which option would you suggest:

SSD just for OS / applications and maintain HDD for data considering cost of investment OR replace 1TB HDD with SSD of similar storage memory.

3) Doesn't SATA variant limit speed to < 600 MB/s since it has to go through SATA interface although it's an SSD ? I hope NVMe variant will do a better job.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

There are a number of things that cause slow performance on the HDD, though typically the most common are severe fragmentation and little free space. How much free space do you have and when you run the disk defragmenter what does it show?

For best performance, a SSD for either just the OS or both OS and data is the choice to make, you can use the HDD for data storage or take it out, that doesn't matter as long as you have enough room for your stuff.

Your system only has a PCIe x1 slot on the M.2 interface, so SATA only, not NVMe.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677

Hi @kris123

You can try to close some of the startup application in windows.

1. Right-click on the Start button and Open Task Manager in the more details view. Switch to the Startup tab.
    2. Turn off the toggle switch next to the apps you want to disable.
    3. Windows lets you know the impact level of each app. To make it easier to see which apps have "High impact," click on Sort by and select "Start-up impact."

Then reboot the laptop and check with it.

Hope it will help you in some way.