-Hello, AXC -780-UR15. Just picked up Used. CPU fan Not operating.

Hello All, I picked up a used AXC-780-UR15

I bought it to finish my college courses as the budget is tight. I purchased used because it fits my budget. One thing I do when I buy used is open the system up and wipe dust bunnies out. I opened this one, and it was IMMACULATE. Which I was grateful for. Until I booted it up. It appears the CPU fan is not spinning. A language barrier and a hot phone, no google translate, provided me with the purchase only, and it work good as confirmation. I called a local computer repair guy, and he told me he would charge $35.00 to see if the fan worked. I paid $50.00 for the whole pc monitor included. Now I am trying to find out if the previous owner may have vacuumed up a jumper or something.

I have the S/n of the system and the # from the motherboard.

Dropping in here so that I could see if anyone else has this system and can identify if the fan doesn't come on on startup. Seems odd to me, but it's been a while since I poked around in a desktop, maybe 3 years when I bought one last. I can and will provide the information for diagnostic purposes

Thank you for being here truthfully

Kelley

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

Does your XC-780 cpu fan come on at all after you boot the PC? As cpu fans are temperature controlled and on desktops they usually come on straight away and as soon as you boot the PC on. In certain laptops the cpu fan does not come on at boot time, this is to conserve battery power but, they eventually come on.

Below are captions of your XC-780's motherboard 4pin fan plugs locations and how the socket 1155 cpu OEM heatsink and fan connects to XC-780 cpu, (btw, this can be upgraded to a more efficient heatsink/fan if you want to spend the $'s). Check those 2x mobo fan plugs and see if they are working 100% as that could be the problem and also check the heatsink fan with the other 4 pin mobo plug if that is working also? If they don't then its either the actual plug that is faulty or its a mobo tracer circuit that has broken/spit the connection to and for either one or these fans not to work, which can be fixed by an experienced tech who has all the appropriate tools, if you want to spend that sort of money?

XC-780 4 pin CPU and case fan plugs

XC-780 OEM Heatsink and CPU description and part numbers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

@Kelleigh

Since you mentioned you are on a tight budget and the PC was in IMMACULATE condition, I suggest unseat and reseat the CPU fan connector to the motherboard a few times and clean it. Hope it is only a loose connector that caused the problem.