Has anyone installed Linux on an Acer Aspire TC-1750-ER11

Options
MikeV7L
MikeV7L Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer Aspire TC-1750-ER11 and I've been unable to get it to boot from the Mint 21 ISO on a USB drive.

I turn off "Secure Boot" and when I go to the Boot Option "Windows Boot Manager" is the ONLY choice which even shows the USB. I can see my USB stick there but it simply does not allow me to select it.

I've never seen something quite like this before, and it appears to be different than the BIOS in other acer aspire models. Anybody tried this particular model? (Not sure if the BIOS is the same on other TC-1750s.)

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/DT.BHVAA.001

Best Answer

• MikeV7L
    Answer ✓
    Options

My wife figured it out last night. It turned out (weirdly) that on this model (which uses DEL to get into the BIOS, BTW) you need to leave secure boot ON in order to boot from a USB. Then you need to select Windows boot manager as the "1st Boot" and then go into the Hard Disk order selection and disable Windows Boot Mgr. At that point the USB magically becomes the 1st Boot device.

I'm not even going to think about trying to set up dual boot on this. I just erased everything and installed Mint. It seems to be working fine so far, and (AFAICT) Mint supports all the hardware.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Enable the F12 boot menu in addition to turning Secure Boot off, then put the flash drive in and reboot. Use the F12 to get the boot menu and all bootable UEFI devices will be listed. Choose your Mint flash drive and you should be up and running. Note that Linux distributions typically lag Windows releases in support for newer hardware, such as the H610 Chipset used on this 12th gen system, so some functionality may not be available for a few months.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MikeV7L
    Answer ✓
    Options

My wife figured it out last night. It turned out (weirdly) that on this model (which uses DEL to get into the BIOS, BTW) you need to leave secure boot ON in order to boot from a USB. Then you need to select Windows boot manager as the "1st Boot" and then go into the Hard Disk order selection and disable Windows Boot Mgr. At that point the USB magically becomes the 1st Boot device.

I'm not even going to think about trying to set up dual boot on this. I just erased everything and installed Mint. It seems to be working fine so far, and (AFAICT) Mint supports all the hardware.