After Fyde OS install, my Aspire One cannot boot! Acer Aspire One AO756

sammeme
sammeme Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Last week, I installed FydeOS with the rEFind option on my laptop. The installation was successful, but it wasn't booting up. After a reboot, it shows just a blank screen, no backlights whatsoever. But the fan and the hard drive still runs. I tried connecting to a display but no luck.

The specs:

Acer Aspire One AO756

Model No. Q1VZC

500GB of HDD

4GB RAM

It would be appreciated to whom helped me through this. Thank you!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

Press FN+F6 and/or FN+F5 to try to turn the screen on.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Press and hold power button till laptop shuts off. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping F2 key. Does BIOS menu or Acer logo appear on screen?

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

No, neither of those will work on my laptop!

Still a black screen on my laptop.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,928 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

What bios version is your V5171 (which is the Aspire One AO756) running? Because and if it's running the Legacy BIOS Version: 1.09 its not a UEFI bios and your laptop is not compatible with FydeOS. The only V5171 (Aspire One AO756) which is a UEFI compatible laptop is one that runs the Version: 2.21 titled "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)". Also, I don't know if you can mod this bios to a UEFI type bios?

Just as an example, in my old Aspire V3-571G that I've got, this laptop had a Legacy bios and the same bios updates options like your laptop 1x Legacy version and 1x UEFI version but, I could mod the bios flash and upgrade with the mod my Legacy V3-571G bios to its upper UEFI bios with a simple mod but, I don't know if you can do that to your V5171 (Aspire One AO756) laptop?

So, check all the above out first because the FydeOS requires a UEFI bios. Yes, I know that you are running the FydeOS with the rEFind boot multiple operating systems but if your laptop is a Legacy bios then that doesn't matter, because and even if youy are running the UEFI bios, that could also be the problem with getting a black screen and FydeOS not booting, so check all the above out. Good luck and hope this helps you out some more.

These are the FydeOS System Requirements

• 1. One 64-bit PC, need to support UEFI and start in UEFI mode (CSM mode can be turned on or off)
    • 2. The main operating system that can run normally, such as macOS, Windows or any Linux distribution.
    • 3. The hard disk is partitioned in GPT mode with at least 10GB of free space
    • 4. FydeOS for PC v5.3 and above

• sammeme

Tinkerer

I remenbered that my Acer is running the version 2.21 BIOS, cuz when I tried to boot an OS from a usb stick, it shows an UEFI option from the boot menu. Hope that helps!

• JackE
    1. Do you recall the original factory installed Windows version --- Win7 or Win8x?
    2. Temporarily disconnect the HDD from the mainboard. Put cover back on.
    3. Then turn the laptop back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to try to enter the BIOS menu again.
    4. Please post a phone photo of BIOS INFORMATION page if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

1. From factory the box included a Linux note of some kind, so I assume that the computer was having a factory-installed Linux.

2 and 3. No luck either. I think the installation ruined the BIOS or something.

4. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures from the BIOS info in the past.

• Have you tried changing the slot rams?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE

>>>I think the installation ruined the BIOS or something.>>>

Was BIOS v2.21 factory installed or did you try to install it from the ACER download page?

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

• JackE

>>>I think the installation ruined the BIOS or something.>>>

Unlikely. Do you see a screen when you HDMI out to a TV set? Press FN+F5 to try to toggle the TV screen on.

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

• JackE

Do you know if this laptop ever used very much with factory installed Linux?

Jack E/NJ

• I suggest you unplug all hard drives and ssds and then check if the computer turns on properly.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE

>>>2 and 3. No luck either.>>>

He unsuccessfully tried that earlier

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

• JackE

>>>The BIOS was factory installed when it came out.>>>

>>>. From factory the box included a Linux note of some kind, so I assume that the computer was having a factory-installed Linux.>>>

>>>I'm not sure if it's factory-installed linux.>>>

The second two statements seem contradictory? Did you try to update the factory 1.0x BIOS to 2.2x?

Jack E/NJ

• sammeme

Tinkerer

No, I didn't. I haven't done anything so far to the BIOS.

• JackE

>>>Last week, I installed FydeOS with the rEFind option on my laptop.>>>

Was FydeOS & refind on the same boot stick?

Jack E/NJ