TC-710 max GPU size?

Model Aspire TC-710

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

GPU Intel (R) HD Graphics 530

OS Win 10 up to date

Bios R01-AO, 9/11/2015 

Bios Mode UEFI

Upgrades with help from the community here

Added 860 EVO SATA mm2 250GB card

PSU Upgraded with new EVGA 650W Power Supply

Added PCIe x1 card for Second dive

Now my system is not used for gaming but for home security cameras. I have been upgrading my system with IA and its maxing out my CPU and I need to install a good GPU to do the work. 

I know this computer has an end date but I hopping on the GPU I purchase can be moved to the new system when this happens.

I did a searched for "TC-710" and went though everything there and the best answer was measure it.

So what should I measure? 

From the side to the end of the x16 slot?

From the side to the USB3F1 plug (Front panel USB 3.0 connector)?

I did unplug the USB3F1 plug (I don't use them) and the system started up with no problems so to I measure from the side to the F_PANL connector or will the card have enough clearance to go over it and I can use the whole width of the case?

Is there anything else I should consider looking at when I do the upgrade?

Thank,

Fred

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Your system is an early Windows 10 design, so has an UEFI boot environment. That means that most, if not all, modern GPU cards will work, assuming you have enough power available. You put a 650W supply in and I assume it has the extra 12V connector for powering a GPU. I'd think you could go as high as a 3070 series without an issue. Your x1 slot won't interfere with a GPU since it's on the other side, and you have a full three slots of space for the GPU. If there's going to be a hangup it's going to be in card length and the case looks big enough to me to fit a full length card. Measure from where the front of the card is to the front of the case inside to determine maximum length.

I wouldn't bother with looking at CPU changes, you are already pretty much maxed out with your i7.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>I know this computer has an end date but I hopping on the GPU I purchase can be moved to the new system when this happens.>>>

What do you mean by "end date"? Your mainboard only supports sixth generation intel CPUs. Currently Windows 11 does not support sixth generation CPUs. Your mainboard is incompatible with higher generation CPUs needed to run Windows 11. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• misterfresr
    misterfresr Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Sorry I didn't know, just a user. I have always came here with my problems and always have had very good advice on how to fix them, couldn't be any happier.

So I can update my CPU? I'm going to start some research on this. 1st what skills is required to do this?

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Fred

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Your system is an early Windows 10 design, so has an UEFI boot environment. That means that most, if not all, modern GPU cards will work, assuming you have enough power available. You put a 650W supply in and I assume it has the extra 12V connector for powering a GPU. I'd think you could go as high as a 3070 series without an issue. Your x1 slot won't interfere with a GPU since it's on the other side, and you have a full three slots of space for the GPU. If there's going to be a hangup it's going to be in card length and the case looks big enough to me to fit a full length card. Measure from where the front of the card is to the front of the case inside to determine maximum length.

I wouldn't bother with looking at CPU changes, you are already pretty much maxed out with your i7.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    edited September 2022

>>>So I can update my CPU?>>>

Sorry no. It won't be useful for extending the life or end date of your machine or transferring the CPU to another newer machine. It would be wasting money.

Jack E/NJ

• misterfresr
    misterfresr Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Update

Added a PNY GTX 1660 super (the small one) and it works great

• JackE

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back on the new gpu. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer

Just in addition and to all the upgrades that you have done, the TC-710 with the i7-6700 (3.4 GHz/4 GHz) that has a 65W TDP can be upgraded to the i7-6700K (4 GHz/4.2 GHz) but the i7-6700K runs hotter and you will need to upgrade the cpu cooling system because you will not be able to use the stock cpu cooling as this cpu runs at 91W TDP with very little relative performance increase as its like only 9%,

The best and another upgrade that you should consider is to increase the TC-710 ram and put into its 2x slots 2x 16GB DDR3L-1600MHz / 240-pin / 1.35V UDIMMs, as that will increase your upgrade considerably in performance.