Can't install Predator Sense on my new Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-620)

Options
MangoMango
MangoMango Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I just bought a Predator PO3-620 which didn't come with Predator Sense installed (even though there's a sticker on the side of the case that says "PredatorSense™ Utility App", so at the very least it should work with this build?)

I've downloaded the right Predator Sense for my model from Acer's website, extracted the folder and then tried to run install - but I get the error saying my computer is not supported.

I've tried looking into this issue in other threads and there seems to be some conclusion that my system model needs to match one of the names in the folder named plugs. Unfortunately, my system seems to be named "~*PO3-620^!" and the folder it should match is "Predator PO3-620".

One of the workarounds I've seen people use is to simply rename the folder to match what your system name is instead, but because for whatever reason they decided to name mine with an asterisk (*) I can't rename the folder to match.

Is there any other fix for this?

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited September 2022
    Options

See this link.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/11081-error-message-sorry-this-computer-is-not-supported-when-installing-predatorsense-software

Can you send a picture of the bios information tab? To enter the BIOS, restart or turn off the machine. Then press the power button and immediately after that press DEL quickly for several times.

• MangoMango

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the garbage characters in the Product Name are what's mucking things up. Go into regedit and look at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation

Then edit that to be only PO3-620 and try again. If that doesn't work change it to Predator PO3-620. Note in both of those it's PO as in Predator Orion not P0 as in Predator Zero. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MangoMango

Tinkerer

Options

So the only entry in that is (Default) REG-SZ (value not set).

Looking at: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS

SystemFamily is set to Predator Orion

SystemManufacturer is set to Acer

But SystemProductName is set to ~*PO3-620^!

Editing that entry just reverts back after computer restarts.

• billsey
    Options

That entry is loaded from the BIOS, so it will change each time you boot to the BIOS value. The one I show is more often used to get the model name by software, such as the PS installer. You might also look in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemInformation\SystemProductName... In fact, it wouldn't hurt too much to just replace all instances of ~*PO3-620^! with Predator PO3-620 then do the install without rebooting first. The installer is looking for the machine to be specifically "Predator PO3-620".

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MangoMango

Tinkerer

Options

Gave that a go, unfortunately it still threw up the error that my computer isn't supported :(

• billsey
    Options

OK, last thing to try... Extract the installer to your drive and go into the Predator Sense_Acer_3.00.3042_20201209_W10x64_A\Predator Sense_Acer_3.00.3042_20201209_W10x64\PredatorSense_V3.00.3042_MSFT SIGNED_20201209\plugs\0000000000000000 folder (I know, really long name). In that folder you will see another folder called "Predator PO3-620", make a copy and rename the copy to "~*PO3-620^!" if it lets you. Rerun the install and it ought to use that folder to find the model...

• MangoMango

Tinkerer

Options

Unfortunately that was one of the first things I tried, it won't let me rename anything that includes an asterisk (*) in the name.

I get the feeling that the only fix would be to send it away to Acer to have them change the BIOS for me, but that's not really an option for me.

Thank you for giving me a hand regardless :)

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, the registry changes should have handled it. :(