Aspire V17 Nitro (VN7-791G) repasting / weird copper tape on Mainboard & Fan

Options
crtnn
crtnn Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey,

I have an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro (VN7-791g) which I currently use.

The Laptop gets really bad temperatures while gaming (92 °C GPU / 90-95 °C CPU), so since it is really old I decided to open it up, clean the fans and repaste.

When I opened it, I found some weird tape on the mainboard. It seems to be some kind of copper tape, with black tape beneath it (So the copper tape does not actually touch the mainboard, the black tape beneath is sticking to the mainboard).

There are also other spots on the mainboard where stuff was taped for some reason. It looks like the Laptop was either bought as used, or as a B-product which already went through repairs or something. Or maybe there was just something funny going on during manufacturing. From what I have seen online, the Board is not supposed to look like this.

The problem is that the tape is spreading from the mainboard to the right fan. In order to repaste however, I need to remove the fans.

What do you guys think this might be and what purpose could it have?

Would it be safe to remove it? Or at least remove the section that is attached to the fan for the purpose of repasting the thermal compound?

I have no idea if I'll be able to easily remove the tape from the fan however, since the black tape seems to be really sticky. I am also not sure if I'll be able to stick it to the fan again after re-inserting the fans.

Would be glad for any insight, as I am scared to just remove it from the fan in case it has some important purpose or I might break something.

With these temperatures though, I don't really feel like I should use the laptop a lot.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,267 Trailblazer
    Options

It's an EMI shield used to make the model design meet FCC requirements for electromagnetic emissions. That should just be double sided tape holding it in place so peel it up carefully and you will be able to stick it back down after the fan replacement.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.