Installed working GPU to G3-710 and it doesn't output any visuals.

Options
Sippee
Sippee Member Posts: 2 New User

Installed working GTX 660 into G3-710, it boots but doesn't output anything from either dvi, hdmi or display. PC beeps once so everything is ready to boot or it's probably bootign but no visuals.

When I install my GTX 1650 it works and the 660 works in another computer.

So far I have tested booting without ram or gpu but it just gives different kind of beeps and no boot if there's no ram or gpu. So I can't even boot it without a gpu. I also tested clearing the cmos by removing every cable and holding power button for minute multiple times. Now I am out of options. Do I need to remove the cmos battery? Is it something to do with the bios.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,022 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022
    Options

Your problem is very strange as it could be numerous problems coming from different issues, you might have something going on with the GTX-660 gpu PCIe 3.0 x16 pins that are not fitting properly into the G3-710 mobos PCIe 3.0 x16 slot? Check that first even though it works on other desktops mobos!

Also, try to install the latest and only NVidia driver for Win-10/11 driver for the GTX-660 and completely uninstall all the NVidia drivers from your OS, as you could have a driver corruption from another NVidia driver? Resetting the RTC battery (by removing/replunging, I would also change the battery for a new one) will completely reset the bios which might also help, so try that also as just clearing the cmos is not enough of a reset.

Note: and if your GTX-1650 works, it could also be that the NVidia 10 and the 16 series gpu are only compatible with your G3-710 desktop? As and remember that the OEM Acer fitted gpu's for the G3-710's desktops when it was released was with either a GTX-1060 or 70 or top of the range GTX-1080 gpu's. As these gpu's are a far better performing gpu than the GTX-660. Just as an example the GTX-1080 gpu card is a 335% better performing overall gpu than the GTX-660 card and even the G3-710 lowest fitted gpu the GTX-1060 is a 210% better performing gpu than the GTX-660.

RTC battery

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>GTX 660 into G3-710, it boots but doesn't output anything>>>When I install my GTX 1650 it works>>>>>>Is it something to do with the bios.>>>>

Partly. It probably has more to do with trying to force fit a vintage 2012 Win7 legacy BIOS era GTX 660 card into a Win10 UEFI era BIOS desktop. Why are you trying to force this card to work?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

The GTX 660 is going to be slower than the builtin HDMI and DP ports on the motherboard. If you want to repurpose your 1660 just leave the slot empty and use the onboard video.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sippee
    Sippee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

We just threw out FX-4300 my little brother was using and he had 660 in it... So my other brother gave him his prebuilt but took the gpu... I guess you are right tho could go try to get some used gpu for 100€ that is miles better than that.

Pretty sure last time I tried to boot it without GPU it didn't. It just beeped until I turned it off.

The weirdest thing is that it works on my Z390 but not on his B250? and the prebuilt came with 960.

I don't think it's corrupted drivers since I tried booting it with my ssd and his old hdd.

I still need to try to remove the cmos and see if that fixes it, try to reseat the gpu.

PS. I don't know why Acer used B250. It bottlenecks so much to not have XMP with i5-6600k, almost makes some game unplayable. You have i5-6600k with 2133mhz memory. It has 6600k because the original 6400 died and in repair they upgraded it for free XD.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I still need to try to remove the cmos and see if that fixes it, try to reseat the gpu.>>>

I advise against physically messing with, electrically re-setting/shorting CMOS terminals, or otherwise modding the UEFI BIOS to try to force this old card to work. You already know there's nothing wrong with the G3's GPU PCIe socket. You always risk irreversible adverse side effects or worse when making these kinds of changes. If it was mine, I stay within the bounds of the user-accessible BIOS options menu including Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options. Maybe gently rub the 660's gold colored contacts with a cotton swab or Qtip lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol. Re-seat it a half dozen times for good measure. And if it still didn't work, I'd conclude the 660 is incompatible with the G3. Then move on to some other interesting challenges. 🙂

Jack E/NJ