Acer Nitro XV252QF flickering starting 300hz

Options
zmrzlina
zmrzlina Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hey guys! I've just bought Acer XV252QF 390hz and ran into a problem: my display is flickering from time to time (white lines appear 1 time per 3-4 seconds). Sometimes it blacks out for a second (video

attached). My setup is 1060 3 bg, i5-8400, 16 GB RAM (not sure it relates). I'm using the most recent version of the graphic card driver. I use the DP cable from the box.

The interesting thing is that the issues appear if I set the monitor frequency to 300hz+ on my graphic card configuration. If I set, for example, 144 or 240 - there are no problems.

Can you guys help me with that?

Is my setup too weak to run 300hz+? Or it could be related to the cable (which is strange, because it's the cable from the original box).

I wonder if the weak video card (CPU) may produce such issues and if the better ones would fix it.

I do really love this monitor and I don't want to return it back just because I didn't manage to get what was going on. Thank you folks in advance. <3

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,979 Trailblazer
    Options

Normally that type of artifact is due to the cabling. Either the cable isn't quite up to the higher frequencies or there's an inductive load from something like power wiring routing too near the video.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • zmrzlina

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the reply. If it relates to an inductive load, shouldn’t I see the same artifacts on a lower frequencies? Because 240hz work perfectly fine.

• billsey
    Options

No, it would be frequency tied I believe...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • zmrzlina

Tinkerer

Options

So you mean the higher frequency, the bigger chance of such artifacts?

• billsey
    Options

Yes, when the port is sampled faster there is a greater chance a bit will be incorrect than when it's sampled slower, so small glitches are more likely to get through to the final image. It's the pixel clock we're dealing with and it's typically sampled something like 32 times for each pixel. When displaying a 4K (for instance) resolution at 60 Hz it does 8510400 pixels in 1/60th of a second, which looks something like 2us per pixel, or 0.06us per sample. At 360Hz you sample six times more often, so the same data takes more like 0.01us to be read. That's 10 picoseconds... If an inductive glitch is 5 picoseconds wide it's very likely to be seen at 360Hz and very likely to not be seen at 60Hz...

• zmrzlina

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for the explanation! Btw, I managed to fix the issue with buying DP 2.0 cable.

• billsey
    Options

Good job! We see a lot of "issues" here from lower quality cables...

• zmrzlina

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, it's kind of weird to me because I expect that everything would work well "out of the box", but I have to spend at least 30 euro more to make it work properly. Maybe it would be a good idea to increase the price of the monitor, but add the high-quality cable instead of the current one.

Anyway, thanks for your answers!