How to connect 3th monitor to laptop? Aspire A715-72G

feltfelt Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 5 in Windows 10

I have a Aspire A715-72G (1050ti + i7 8750 + 16)

I am able to connect second monitor using HDMI Port, but that's not enough for me. I purchase a HDMI to Type-c converter but it's not work's on this laptop. (Meanwhile this converter works for my another laptop).

After connection monitor, I receive a "The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it" error.

Also in Device Manager displays "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)". I was trying found some drivers, but no result.

I open a documentation and found "On Acer computers USB Type-C ports support up to USB 3.1 (SuperSpeed USB, 5 Gbps). Other USB devices with a USB Type-C connector are supported, but transfer speed may be reduced and certain functions will be disabled (such as Thunderbolt video support)"

So how can I connect one more monitor? Should I purchase USB 3.1 to HDMI? Or by some how i can use USB-C?

(edited the title to add model name )

FAQ & Answers

• billseybillsey ACE Posts: 25,496 Trailblazer

You are correct, your Aspire A715-72G model doesn't support DP Alt Mode on the USB-C port. That means in order to connect more monitwors you need a USB dock that supports video out and doesn't require Alt Mode. The easiest way to make sure the dock will work is to get a USB 3.0 dock. You can also read the specs closely to make sure a USB-C dock doesn't require Alt Mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.